Chapter 26

Reaching the Purgatory Gate, we survey the ancient place. It has a lot of torn-down temple ruins, many single rusty columns, and weeds covering most of the rubble. I'm astounded this place is the last footprint of the war.

I wondered who was here fighting Shallos and his malefics. Was norms facing these monsters off, I don't see any skeletal remains or any human relics. What about the mages. How they fared here.

We eventually park the harpies a few yards away from the large column arch. Terra, Camille, Silas, and Icarus are already hopping of their bikes and begin walking around the ruins. I slowly get off my cycle. I pace a few steps across the dusty ground. Weeds overtake a lot space. Soon I stand nearby the ruins.

"I hope we don't have to wait all day." Camille says expressing her disgust.

We all remain standing, and then I notice Terra walking a bit forward towards some temple ruins. I want to follow her, yet I spot Silas feeling scared. I walk over to him.

"You're okay."

"Why should I?"

A bit surprised when he said that.

"Sorry, just it's going to be a lot of them."

"I think so."

Before we can honestly talk more possibly about him trying to reveal he's a mage to the others. Yet when I see his eyes, I think his fear over this battle will clout his judgment. And then I hear Icarus yelling.

"Here they come!"

My eyes pivot to the west. There are a bevy of malefics from wraiths to bygors to other creatures I hardly recognize with weird horns. Leading the monstrous bunch is a group of Acolytes—most having daemonics etched on their white and reddish skin. As they come, I then wonder about one more Acolyte.

Where is Raudan?

I keep checking and Raudan is nowhere near the group of malefics. As the horde come, I pace myself. The others get into their defensive stance. I then hear Camille yelling for Terra to come back here, that we need her in this fight. Terra begins to rush back to us. We all stay close as we notice the malefic horde getting closer. As the others get their hands firm on their weapons, I try to get to my blade behind me. Suddenly, I try to see if Raudan is playing another game. I get fooled when my vision is blocked by two bygors coming at me.

Grabbing hard on the curved handle, I swiftly take the blade rest near my side. As one begins to show, roaring its stinky yet powerful scream. I then swing the weapon right at the first bygor. One of the sharp edges makes contact. The beast collapses down presumably dead. Before I can retrieve the blade, the other bygor roars crazy and sprints at me. I begin to muster up the nerves; I begin to tease the creature.

As it tries to get to me, I try use the training as inspiration. I even move with such finesse. I'm able to run back to the first bygor's unmoved body. I get the blade back in my arms. And as the second get ready to strike, I quickly swing the blade around like a boomerang. The blade rotates around and hits the head of the second bygor. The creature falls to the ground. I try to relax, however one of the trollish goons appears. It begins to knock me back. I stumble a little bit, my legs not up to par. I try to regain some footing. Glancing back at the trollish freak coming at me, I still have hold of the blade. Beginning to swing the blade, I react surprised when the troll-like goon weaves around.

It then tries to surprise me by spitting out numerous fiery spitballs. I lunge to the ground, rolling away. I keep hold of the blade. My head turns to notice the spit is also acidic, after a few pieces of rocks were smoking and disintegrating in a strange greenish flame.