5

We land on the tree line. The familiar scent of the damp forest fills the cool air. The moonlight casts an umbrella of silver light, sending shadows to dance across the forest floor.

Without a word we proceed forward into the forest. The shadows of the night encasing us further as we make our way through the thick of the trees towards the clearing. Where the trees part, and the familiar glow of the seven rings appear, we come to a stop.

"And where is our friend, I do wonder." Rhys remarks calmly. Only a fool would take my brothers words for face value. No friend occupies the Soulless woods.

I scan the rings for a glint of the dime, the dime that had been stolen just weeks earlier.

To the east... my shadows whisper.

I flick my eyes sideways, in the same moment a cool breeze rushes by, taunting, goosebumps raise on our necks. Emerging from the trees, a sly black mist. The red and blue glow of Cassian and I's siphons cast over the clearing, as our power rolls through our veins, heating, waiting to unleash.

The black continues its way to encase the clearing, like a breath of smoke, intoxicating the lungs. "May I offer a trade, my friend?" Rhys sparks, his cool and calm exterior giving no sign of disturbance. I brush my hands over the daggers sheathed on the sides of my thighs, shifting my feet to be on the ready.

The temperature in the air drops, as the entity that breath among us rumbles "Only a fool would trade with me." I sketch my eyes around, searching the rings. Where is this dime? Had it been hidden? Covered in flora?

"And a smart fool will give you what you want." Rhys offers back. Playing his cards.

I breathe in steadily as I catch a glint of gold that lay half hidden under the soil of the seventh ring.

"You cannot give me what I want, for I have nothing I need, Lord." The entity spits. Bitter. I furrow my brows, as I steadily make my way around the circle, Cassian distancing himself evenly on the opposing side. Rhys is no lord, perhaps the entity confused his presence with that of his fathers. I push aside my mild confusion, remembering the larger game at play.

I nearly shiver as I feel and ice-cold whisper of a finger trail down my spine. Taunting my shadows to come out and play. They stay hidden, for one whisp & they may be taken while in the presence of our friend.

"Well of course there is Bannik." At the mention of a name, a hiss sounds through the woods. Rhys cocks his head knowingly, a sly smirk gracing his lips. Edging closer to the seventh ring, I glance to Rhys who eyes me confidently. As long as Bannik remains distracted, the dime can be adjusted.

"Do not play games with me Rhysand." Bannik rumbles fiercely.

I crouch lower to the ground. Tediously, I reach my hand across the ring.

To touch the land that lay scorn, to unsettle the souls that surround. My shadows had told me.

My heart rate inclines, as I stretch my arm further across, being careful not to drop my knees, for if I did, would be scarcely close to the ring. Pounding sounds in my ears. My fingertips brush across the surface of the dime. A breath I didn't know I was holding escapes my mouth.

Before I can react, I am thrown forward, into the ring, thumping on the forest floor.

"Shadowsinger, you cannot get past me." Bannik rumbles in my ears. Wind begins to pick up, vertexing around the ring.

A faint yell sounds, as I see red light glowing powerfully in the space. Cassian. The ground begins to shake, as the ring glows stronger and stronger. I claw at the dime, pocketing it, wind rustling through my hair. The yelling from I can only assume is Rhys & Cassian grows fainter, as the wind becomes near immobilising. My heart pounding in my ears, I look around frantically.

Then I hear them.

The screams.