11

A/N: Emiko at the top

A/N: Emiko at the top. We're going to pretend she has dark blue eyes. If you don't like her imagine whoever you want. I imagine myself. 🤭

Emiko, 22

Awkward silence and controlled breaths fill the car as Akeno turns down a familiar road. My home isn't very far from my parents castle but because of the holidays and the heavy foot traffic, it takes longer than normal to get home.

The party ended two hours ago but I stayed after to help clean up in an attempt to delay the inevitable. I helped do the dishes, sweep the floors and even went as far as picking up some of the trash.

My movements were slow and deliberate, and when mom and Ivy noticed, they insisted that the maids would take care of everything. That I didn't have to stay to help. I could go home since I had things to do the following morning.

I fought them off at every turn because in all reality I didn't want to be alone with Akeno.I know how I am and I know that I can be too forgiving when it's the right person. I wanted to run in the opposite direction when I saw him, avoid him at all costs once I realized he was ok. He was alive and breathing and for me that was more than enough to be content with his reappearance.

Now that he was here, speaking to him wasn't on my list of things to do but knowing that he was going to be staying with me for two weeks, I didn't really have a choice. I hate awkward silence, and the unbearable tension currently festering between us wasn't making this entire ordeal any more enjoyable.

I shift uncomfortably in my seat, my side nearly glued to the door.

I had no idea that Akeno brought a dog home with him until we were heading out the door.

I had only caught a glimpse of him slipping his fingers into his mouth. He let out a long and loud whistle before that giant beast came bounding out the doors. I had seen them running around the garden and toying with the dragons earlier. I assumed they belonged to one of the many guests roaming around like one of my uncles.

I avoided them like the plague because I, for one, was terrified of dogs. Ironic considering the fact I had been on the backs of flying predators far bigger than any dog and way more vicious than any land animal could possibly be.

Tapping my heel against the foot of the car I pull my braids to one side of my shoulder. I can feel it staring holes into the back of my head and I'm too afraid to look back in fear it'll bite off my face.

They move and I move, they shift, and I shift until I'm practically plastered against the door fearing for my life.

Akeno glances at me, one hand atop the steering wheel while the other rests against the middle console.

Since the little kitchen situation I've managed to keep my distance at the party. Avoiding him like I'd break out into hives if I speak to him again. Not only am I forced to talk to him, now I have to give him directions to get to my house. He never responds either. He simply keeps quiet, occasionally brushing his thumb against his bottom lip.