Chapter 1: It all goes to hell

Gemira

"Get them all inside right now!" Aunt Delia's voice carries clearly through the clearing.

I'm actually impressed at how fast her instincts are considering she hasn't commanded people for over eighteen years. But watching her stare down the mob and usher them inside the manor, it seems like no time has passed at all.

A loud screech from the hill diverts my attention instantly. I turn just in time to see the absolute horde that is those creatures start to descend upon us like hornets. Instantly, two shadows are rushing past me to meet them.

The range of the ice thrown in their direction is a very clear indicator of how much the mob's words angered Theo. It's large enough to knock out the frontlines and throw them twenty feet back, taking their allies with them. I can feel myself gaping.

It's not something that I've ever seen him do. Granted, we didn't need to use magic to sort much of our problems when we were friends, but I believe the point still stands. I shiver as the chill of his attack carries back, creating a cold front around us.

"What's happening!?"

"We're going to die!"

"Do what the Queen said and get inside." My gaze narrows on them as I state the command, one of my hands pointing in the direction of the open door. "Unless you have combat experience, you will die."

There really is no way to sugar coat the reality of the situation we've found ourselves in. "You'll be safer in there." The tone of my voice should be enough to convey the severity of the situation. "Go!"

I admit I'm being a little harsh on them considering death is a very real probability, but I can't be nice to them right now. Theo isn't the only one who's angry. How dare they imply that my cousin dying is an inconvenience to them?

When they hesitate, I decide it'd be better to escort them inside myself. The dual sensations of heat and ice I can feel at my back tell me that those two have got it covered for now. I look over the heads of the crowd to where Cylen is urging everyone through the door.

A fleeting smile crosses my face. Ever the dutiful captain. Instead of telling them to move a second time, I simply lightly push them towards it instead. Gently guiding them to where Cylen is and throwing a glance to the gawking statues standing around me.

"Get inside! Now! It will be safer in there." As angry as I feel about how they treated Rose, I have a duty to protect them and that's what I will do.

"That mon-"

"That "monster" is currently the only thing that stands between you and certain death, so do what the lady says and get inside." Cylen has stepped away from the gate and is now staring pointedly at the remaining civilians by my side.

When they hesitate, I feel a large whoosh of air leave my mouth. "The longer you stall, the higher the chance that army will be able to..."

Leaving the sentence open allows them to come up with the scenarios all on their own. I learnt the trick from my father. Fortunately it works and they rush towards the open door immediately. I breathe a sigh of relief. Good.

Now for the approaching horde.

Although it seems Cylen is a step ahead of me.

Before I can finish sighing, he's already jumping into the foray, knocking some of them back with his spear. For a moment I feel stunned, my eyes focused on the clanging of weapons and the sound of screeches as their cloaks burn.

Chaos is the only way to describe it. The more of them the three of them fight, the more of them appear. It's a mix of clashes and clangs and screams as they're burned, frozen and thrown back. Inhaling deeply, I pull out my daggers, twirling them in my hands before jumping into the foray as well.