The tale of two monsters

Trigger warning!

Lot of brawling and a creepy af pervert. skip if these topics are triggering for you!

Take care of your brain chemistry! We will see you in the next chapter!

River Verlice gaped at Raven, as he emptied his umpteenth tankard of wine in three swift gulps. How he managed to consume so much and remain upright was nothing short of a divine miracle.

"Aaa, that sure hits the spot!" he slammed the empty mug on the countertop, grinning ear to ear.

Meanwhile, River cradled his cup of tepid milk with both hands and kept silent. Diluted to an extreme, it tasted like faint remnants of water that clung to the cup after rinsing. But at two copper coins, he couldn't expect much more.

"You don't like it" Raven chuckled at his adorably wrinkled nose. "Don't fucking drink it then."

River sighed, resigning himself to the lackluster beverage and quickly finished it. "I've survived worse."

"Like what?"

"Your presence" River deadpanned, gathering his damp hair over his shoulder.

Raven's bottom lip jutted out in an exaggerated pout. "Meanie"

The run-down tavern buzzed with the boisterous vigor of drunk, raucous sailors and merchants, each one more intimidating looking than the other. River was thankful they found a cramped spot to sit, lest he might get flattened into a meat pancake amidst the horde. The crowd only swelled as evening dragged on, spilling out the threshold of 'Mara's.'

The tavern itself was slightly larger than a shoebox, and the way it smelled sent River's head reeling. The air was thick with the nauseating blend of tobacco, sweat and the unmistakable stench of alcohol. Everyone was yelling at each other, creating a cacophony of dialects and accents. Somewhere, a glass shattered sharply, followed by a loud thud, but no one seemed fazed. River turned to see yet another man slumped on the floor, blacked out.

The man sitting next to River was eyeing him weirdly for a while now, dark orbs glazed over from the effect of liquor. River squirmed in his seat, inching towards Raven, and making himself as small as possible. Rolling his pipe between his clenched teeth, he greedily watched the younger boy, pupils blown wide in barely disguised arousal. River tried his level best to use his hair as a curtain to block him out, his scrutiny feeling like an unwelcome weight on his back.

sir, I'm too busy ignoring you. Please go away. 

"I know you don't like it here," Raven started, taking a sip out of his refilled tankard. "But there is someone we should meet."

River side glanced at him quizzingly. Raven was about to tell something, but the man shoved onto River's side, hitting him like a landslide. Under the guise of finding his balance, he clutched River's seat; not so discreetly brushing against his thigh in the process. Fortunately, Raven caught him by the scruff of his neck before River could roll off the stool to run as far away from him as he could.

"Ay! Watch it bastard!" he growled at the man, helping River back into his seat. The man smiled and tipped his head but made no apology. He went back to his drink acting as if nothing happened.

Disgusted, River subtly wiped at the spot he touched. The filthy fingertips seemed to burn through the fabric of his pants on to his skin. He schooled his expressions quickly before Raven noticed and started a brawl.

He was too late because Raven was already on his feet, fists clenched.

Here we go again.

The fight, if you could call it that, only lasted two short minutes. Two minutes was all it took for Raven to beat him to a bloody pulp that even his mother would have trouble recognizing as her son.