~ CHAPTER 4 ~

After using the rest of the day to write her stories on the private promenade, Lydia stood and began getting ready for Afternoon Tea. She got dressed in a white tea gown with a blue overlay and a frivolous band that snatched at her waist. She let her hair down to her back but pinned the strands of hair away from her face. She touched up her makeup with neutral lipstick and highlighted her eyes with slight eyeliner that slimmed her eyes and brought out the blue hue of her iris. Her father was dressed cordially in a suit and walked with her arm-in-arm out to the hall where Silas was waiting. He complimented her appearance with a sneer which only reflected a short response from Lydia. Before Silas could escort her away, she slipped out of his grasp and made her way toward Rose's room. Her friend exited the room in a beautiful green dress and red waistband and marveled to see her waiting for her. Cal called to Silas before he could explode and he calmed immediately, which Lydia was thankful for so that she and Rose could get a head start walking ahead of the men.

Their heels clacked against the wood floors and tile, their heads held high before the men. Their posture and demeanor were the only thing they could control, themselves. With every opportunity they had, they took it and acted either unladylike or carefree. However, that was more Lydia than Rose. Rose felt as though she couldn't do it most of the time with her mother around, but Lydia campaigned for her to break that. So she took the lead and smiled as they climbed the staircase. When they rounded the staircase, Rose looked at Lydia with a distressed look but she returned with a calm and soft expression that brought her tense shoulders down. The unspoken confidentiality between the two of them was unshakable, healing even the worst panics.

When the two friends approached the front of the staircase, Lydia caught sight of Molly by a wooden pillar talking to a man with dark grey hair. Lydia smiled almost instantly when she saw that warm face of the woman she had only met just earlier, but it was when the man turned around that her expression faltered and her steps came to a stop. Blue met brown as they stood almost paralyzed from across the room. It was the man she had run into earlier in the Reading and Writing room. It was just like before: Lydia's breath quickened and her face flushed as the man began walking over to her with polite steps. She could feel the butterflies erupt within her stomach when he approached her, his eyes carefully trained on hers. He bent down and took her hand, placing a gentle kiss upon her knuckles.

"Good afternoon, Miss." He began, his Irish accent filling her ears splendidly.

"G-Good afternoon, sir." She replied with a slight bow of her head. They remained in that position for what seemed like an eternity, simply examining each other's faces with great curiosity.

"Ah! I see you've just met Mr Andrews." Molly announced as she approached them with a wide smile, patting the man on the back heartily. He jumped out of his daze and smiled at her sheepishly as he straightened his back. Lydia's eyes widened as she made the connections within her head.

"You're Thomas Andrews?" She asked, almost in disbelief.

"That I am, my dear. And you are?" He said, his voice almost as smooth as chocolate.

Lydia stood there for a minute, scrambling within her head. She had forgotten her name. Luckily, her friend was beside her to help her along. "This is Lydia Claire and I am Rose DeWitt Bukater. We've heard so much about you already. Lydia has been waiting impatiently to be able to meet you. She admires your work greatly." She smiled knowingly at her friend who sank within her shoulders, her cheeks turning redder than a beat.

Mr Andrews smiled and nodded, looking at Lydia. "I'm so glad to hear about that. Would you like to walk with me to tea? I'd love to get acquainted with you further." He said, extending his arm out for her to take. Lydia looked at his arm, then up to his face. His expression was sweet and genuine; it made her stomach do flips. She couldn't control the grin that swept across her face as their eyes locked once again.