The New Girls

"Come on Evie, you need to put your stuff in the van!" Beth shouted as she lugged her heavy bags out of their hotel room.

"I'm coming, give me a second!" Evie replied, emerging from the tiny bathroom. "Right, where's the hairdryer?"

"I already put it away." Beth sighed. "It's over there."

"Cool, thanks."

Beth and Evie were just coming to the end of their first proper tour and were packing their bags, for good this time. By the end of the day they'd be back home, able to reminisce on times gone by.

"I want us to be home by dark." Beth said.

"But it's my van, and I need to dry my hair." Evie said casually.

"Why didn't you wash it last night?"

"Because I couldn't be bothered when we got back." She explained. "I was tired."

"Yet you stayed up all night listening to Elton John!" Beth grumbled. "Your headphones disconnected at like four in the morning and all I could hear was "Harmony" playing over and over and over!"

"I just like that song!" Evie huffed. "So I'm assuming you heard me singing to Crocodile Rock?"

"Yes, I did." She said. "It wasn't until you moved on to Mitski for some odd reason that I dropped back off."

"She just hits different!"

Beth shook her head. "I'm so glad I'm not driving today, or I'd be dropping you off at the closest services."

They both knew she was joking; Evie and Beth had been friends for so long, these little quarrels meant nothing to either of them anymore.

"Hey, do you want to listen to a podcast?" Evie asked, changing the subject.

"Go on then."

"Off Menu?" She asked. "Or how about the Taskmaster podcast?"

"We've listened to both of those at least a hundred times." Beth said. "How about we listen to Springleaf? We can finish it on the way home then."

"Oh yeah!" Evie exclaimed. "You're a genius."

So she put it on, their silly disagreement being long forgotten, putting it on at full volume so they could hear it over the hairdryer.

About halfway through the first episode, Beth's phone rang. She checked it, finding it to be a number she didn't recognise.

"I sort of want to answer it." She said. "But what if it's a scam?"

"If it is, pass it here." Evie said, brushing through her still slightly damp hair. "I'll sort them out."

"Yeah, that right there is exactly why I had to send you those long paragraphs telling you off for "standing up for us" when we were in school."

Evie scoffed. "I was trying to help!"

"Yeah, and you always did at first." She said. "But what would happen the next day? That's right, whoever it was would come back and I'd have to play the nice guy so you'd keep your mouth shut."

Evie went quiet, feeling genuinely upset this time. "Sorry."

"I'm going to answer it and if it is a scam I'm just going to hang up." Beth said. "Don't give me that look Evie...look, I'm sorry. It's just the truth - you really need to get a handle on that temper of yours sometimes."

Evie nodded, turning back to the mirror she'd been sat at most of the morning. By now the phone had tried ringing twice, so Beth rushed to answer it before it became a third.