VIII. Matching

Over this last week, Ruth and I have sat down in her office for a total of about three hours per shift to go over the new programme. I mean, we're flying through it. It's not as scary as I thought it would be and I'm just about ready to put this plan into action.

But today. Today is my little outing with Ruth. And I'm so excited. I've loved spending time with Ruth in work, and that's just talking about work stuffs and science. It'd be nice to talk to her outside of work.

As I do my hair and makeup, I wonder what is appropriate to wear. What counts as too smart or too casual. Do I go for smart-casual? Or just smart. Or just casual? And now I'm just stood here, staring aimlessly into my closet.

"You're overthinking it." Phoebe said from my door. I jumped a little because she came out of nowhere.

"Am not." I scoff.

"Are you trying to convince me or yourself?" she raised an eye brow.

"I'm not overthinking." I turn around.

"Yes, you are." she folded her arms and leant on my door frame, "What kind of date is it?"

"We're just going to the- wait, it's not a date."

"Come on, Tammy. Of course, it is. She told you that she liked you."

"In Elementary school. Who's to say she likes me still?"

"She texts you nonstop."

"About work stuff! She's mentoring me."

"And offers to drive you to work all the time. And brings you home. And she's picking you up today."

"Because Isaac totaled my car."

"She also buys you breakfast every morning. She's paying for you today."

"Because she's kind and refuses to let me pay her back! There's no way she likes me back."

"Tammy! Ruth is here!" Mom called.

"I'm not even dressed yet. Damn." I curse to myself.

"Let me see." Phoebe says, "You've done your hair and makeup?"

"Yeah."

"Good." she went through my closet and picked out black three-quarter jeans, a dark green turtle neck and my Doc Martens, she topped it with a gold necklace with a T pendent, "Get dressed." she ordered and left.

I got into the clothes and I have to say, they're not bad. I got my bag, phone wallet and other things that I may need, and went downstairs. No one was by the front door but I heard voices in the living room.

"So, interested in anyone, Ruth?" I heard my Mom ask.

"Uh, yeah, I am actually." Ruth answered. I stayed behind the wall, just listening.

"Ooh, do spill." I heard Phoebe sing.

"Well, she's smart and funny. Really pretty. Like, very pretty. She smells really good too."

"That's an odd thing to like someone for." Mom chuckled.

"That's not a reason that I like her. It's just something about her that I like."

"Ah, I see." I heard Phoebe say, "I get it. Do you happen to know what she smells like?"

"Well, no. But I do know that I love her smell."

"Hm. Okay, okay." I heard Phoebe hum.

"Would you like anything to eat, Ruth? You've got a lovely build, I must say." Mom asks.