III. 9-1-1

"Hey," Ruth greets as I climb into her car, "Did you get enough sleep?"

"Yes, thanks." I nod, "What about you?"

"I didn't go to bed. I don't really get much sleep anyway." she shrugs.

"How come?"

"Night terrors and sleep paralysis. That and I've recently developed insomnia."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that."

"Nah, it's not your fault. Neither is it mine." she shrugged. I felt a pang of pain in my heart for her, "Do you like Starbucks?"

"Yes, I do." I nod.

"You want a coffee?" she questioned.

"I don't really have any money-"

"I'll pay." she said quickly.

"What? Ruth, no."

"I said, I'll pay." she demanded.

"Oh, okay." I throw my hands up in surrender.

"You want food too? I want food. I'm hungry."

"If you're offering."

"I am."

"Yes, please."

"Okay."

"Thanks." I say quietly.

"It's no problem." she relied as pulled into the Starbucks drive thru. Once we got to the speaker thingy and ordered our drinks and food. And as promised, Ruth payed.

"I'll totally pay you back." I assure her.

"No, you won't."

"Ruth, please."

"Let me do something nice for you. It wouldn't be nice if I expected you to pay me back. Give and expect nothing in return. That's sort of my family's subconscious motto."

"Mhm. Okay." I nod. But I'm secretly planning on how to pay her back. I'll scrape some money together for next Saturday and I'll-

"Stop that." she said.

"Stop what?"

"Stop planning on how you're gonna pay me back."

"How'd you know?" I muse.

"You think very loudly." she muttered as we pull into the hospital parking lot, "Here we are. Thank you for being good company." she grinned.

"Thanks for the ride and for the Starbucks." I leaned over and gave her a hug, she was surprised but hugged me back anyway.

"No worries. Do you need a ride home too?"

"If it's not a burden-"

"Of course not. You'll just have to wait for me for about an hour or so. But also have a back up just in case I'm in surgery."

"I'll wait for you regardless." I smile dreamily.

"Oh, okay." she nodded, "Have a good day."

"I'm on your service again."

"Oh, let's have a good day then." she said and got out. I followed too and we signed in together. We parted ways to get into our scrubs before we met back at the elevator.

"Shoot."

"What's up?" she asked as we headed for the sixth floor in the elevator.

"I'm like, crazy early."

"You can hang with me for a bit." Ruth shrugged.

I won't lie, that sounds awesome. A full hour with just Ruth? Amazing.