인생의 작은 반짝서 - Chapter 1

Shoving paperwork into her bag, she ran out of the classroom, tired, hoping to get a glimpse of the constellations.

The schools' science prodigy, Son Jihye.

Ever since she was young, she had always liked science. Something about the constellations, stars, and the planets felt so interesting, making her wonder about the future.

She works with a creative mind, as you can tell.

Son Jihye, a 21 year old girl who studies in one of the biggest universities in Seoul, makes her feel passionate about her academics. Nobody really likes academics, but somehow, Jihye did.

She was often called a nerd, just because she studied a lot. Lunch break, after school, breaks, every second, you'd find her studying.

But everytime she got called names, she would smile. There was no use in fighting back. Sometimes you have to forgive and forget.

Oh, but she'll never forget it. The mask of happiness, she was glad to have a useful tool at times.

Opening the doors of the balcony at the very top of the university, she spotted a man. Brown hair, headphones, and a jacket with baggy pants.

Everything seemed so peaceful about him, when would she live a life like that?

Wrong. Muffled crying sounds and desperate breaths filled the atmosphere, worrying the poor Jihye who only wanted to have some peace.

"Why are you here?" Jihye asked the man, walking towards him slowly. The man turned around, frightened by the sight of a girl whom he didn't seem to know, yet seemed so familiar.

"Oh," he said shortly, "I came here to get some fresh air and some peace, but you came."

"I did too," Jihye responded, "Sorry, by the way. Did I disturb you?"

"No, it's okay," He replied, assuring it was okay, "Plus, it'd be great to have some company with me, do you mind?"

"Not at all."

"Can I get your name? Just so I know who to talk to, I'm kind of forgetful sometimes," he said, scratching his neck.

"I'm Jihye, Son Jihye," she said,

"Class 3."

"Son Jihye?" His eyes widened, "The science prodigy?"

"Yeah," she said, chuckling a little, "You sure know the senior batch well."

"I do," he replied, "You always top the school in grades, I'd be shocked if anyone got higher than you, even if I've probably dreamed of it since I got here."

"What's your name, then?" Jihye asked.

"Will you even know me if I tell you?"

"I know you now, what's your name?"

"Kang Taeyoung," he said, "You don't know me, do you?"

"Kang Taeyoung?" She asked as he nodded, "The campus sunflower?"

"How do you know that?" he asked with a slight frown on his face, seeming like he hated the idea of the nickname.

"I saw you around the garden near the campus," she told him, "A joyful spirit."

"Joyful?"

"Yeah, aren't you?"

"Did I use it well?" Taeyoung asked her, leaving her confused.

"Use what well?"

"My mask," he said, "Have you ever heard of the phrase, 'The feeling of pain is masked by happiness'?"

"Oh," she replied shortly,

"I know."

"That's pretty much what makes up my personality. I'm not usually like this, so don't expect too much if I become grumpy every other day," Taeyoung says, sighing.

"I'm so sorry," Jihye frowned.

"It's okay, you don't always get what you want in life."

He smiled, and Jihye followed. Then a tear dropped from his eyes, and Jihye stopped smiling.

"What's wrong?"she asked, with hints of worry visible to the naked eye.

"Can I say this?" he asked.

"Why not?"

"It seems so wrong to cry as a guy, they're supposed to have an image of fierce, strong, not a crybaby and a person who worries a lot. Sometimes I ask myself, why did I have to be like this? Why couldn't I be normal and stick up for myself? Why did I have to be so weak?" He spoke quickly, then watched the look on Jihye's face.

"Why do you think that?"

"Do you not think that?"

"Why would I?" she asked Taeyoung seriously, "Men don't have to be fierce, strong, and independent human beings. People should ife how they want to, how they're comfortable. You can't change the way your body and your heart was built. Even if it doesn't feel comfortable, that's what your body, mind, and heart is used to. It's the most comfortable way to live."

"I.."

"Life is never easy. People have likes and dislikes. People drag down others because inside, they're suffering too. People can be judgemental. When people are mad, or frustrated, they tend to say things they don't mean. You shouldn't take anything to heart," she says again,

"Even if they're your own guardians."

Taeyoung looked down, each teardrop feeling heavier and more painful.

"You seem like a good person," Taeyoung says, "No wonder you're so happy."

She sighed. She clearly wasn't, but it wasn't right to interrupt the conversation, dragging herself into it.

She didn't want to talk about herself. At all. It's best to keep quiet when you can and when you have a choice. When you're supposed to.

"Thank you," she softly said, still unsure what to say.

Taeyoung, with his tear filled eyes, smiled and nodded.

She's here,

His sparkle in life.