XVII - Winning The Battle

Michelle found herself pacing nervously on a secluded parking lot, waiting for Irfan to arrive. Thanks to Nicha, she managed to reach Anntonia's ex. Irfan sauntered out of his car, slamming the door shut with a resounding thud that echoed in the stillness. His usual arrogant smirk was present, but there was a flicker of something else in his eyes - a cruel amusement that sent a fresh wave of anger surging through Michelle.

"You wanted to see me?" Irfan said.

"You've been spreading lies about me and Anntonia," she said, her voice low but filled with intensity.

"I don't know what you're talking about," he replied, his tone sarcastic.

"Don't play dumb with me," Michelle shot back, her fists clenched at her sides. "I know it was you. You're just bitter and petty enough to stoop to spreading rumors to get back at us."

The guy scoffed, his smirk widening. "And what if I have?" he replied, his tone flippant. "Seems like I've already won if you ask me. Reduced you two to nothing but cheating social climbers."

Michelle's fists clenched at her sides, her nails digging into her palms. "You think this is some kind of game?" she shot back, her voice rising. "You're trying to destroy everything we've worked so hard for, and for what? Your petty vendetta?"

Irfan shrugged, his arrogance unyielding. "Hey, all's fair in love and war, right?" he said, his tone laced with sarcasm. "And from where I'm standing, I've already come out on top."

"You underestimate us," Michelle said firmly. We'll clean it up. And you? You'll just be a footnote in this story, a sad, pathetic villain no one will remember."

Irfan's smirk widened into a full-blown sneer. "Are you gonna run to your daddy?" he mocked, his voice dripping with condescension. "Maybe he can buy you your way out of this mess too."

"Pathetic," Michelle spat back, her voice laced with ice. "Now I see why she left you. Anntonia is far too kind, far too genuine for someone like you to ever truly understand. You see love as a game of power, a transaction. Anntonia sees it for what it is - a connection, a respect for another soul. You wouldn't know the first thing about the love she has to offer, because you're incapable of giving it yourself."

"I see you haven't been in the loop," Irfan then presented his phone to Michelle showing a photo of her dad and her girlfriend at the foundation. "Didn't you know my precious ex is trying to sugar the main sponsor to buy your way out of this one?"

Michelle's fists trembled with fury, but she refused to give the guy the satisfaction of seeing her lose control.  "Karma's coming for you, asshole, and when it does, it won't be kind."

With that, Michelle turned on her heel and walked away, leaving Irfan standing there, his smug expression faltering for the first time.

***

As Anntonia sat in her living room, the weight of Mr. Dee's proposition bore down on her like a leaden sky. She couldn't shake the feeling of being trapped between the crumbling walls of her foundation and the demands of Michelle's father.

Her fingers hovered over her keyboard, but instead of drafting a plan to salvage the foundation's reputation, she found herself scrolling through her phone, the harsh glare of negative comments cutting through her heart. Each comment felt like a blow to Anntonia's already fragile resolve. She knew the internet could be ruthless, but seeing the vitriol aimed at Michelle, at Tahanan, and at the foundation, it felt personal.

Her train of thought was abruptly interrupted by the sound of the door slamming open. Startled, Anntonia looked up to see Michelle standing in the doorway, her usually warm eyes ablaze with anger.