Chapter 4

Juniper's dress later in the chapter

(Omg who'd have thought, 3rd P.O.V.)

"So... that went well."

"We all nearly died." Juniper plays with a roll in her hand as she responds to her brother. The group had found the nearest town after escaping the Fold, and had claimed three rooms at the first inn they saw, which just so happened to have a tavern below it. After claiming the rooms, Kaz had promptly disappeared somewhere while the remaining Crows and Arken went to the bar. Jesper nursed a glass of whiskey, Arken all but chugged a pint of beer, Inej ordered a plate of small sweet rolls, and Juniper got her hands on a glass of kvas.

"The Little Palace winter fete." Arken reads off a paper in his hand before dropping it on the counter. "There's just no way he can find a way to the Sun Summoner without Nina. Especially during this ridiculous party. The place will be crawling with Second Army."

"I highly doubt it." Juniper shrugs, eyes flitting over the letters on the page.

Inej had done the same but looked away a moment after, unable to piece together many of the words. The Crows could all speak Ravkan easily, but reading it was another story for some of them. Inej, having been unable to access the necessary supplies to learn after speaking Suli her whole childhood, never had the time or the chance to learn it. Kaz could speak and read many languages, but some weren't as fluent as he'd let on with Ravkan being one of them. Speaking the language was almost as natural as Kerch to him, but he struggled to read more than brief phrases or basic sentences. Jesper was easily fluent in the language thanks to their father teaching him as a child, but had forgotten some of the writing, seeing as how he never had enough patience to memorize the letters thoroughly enough, and then never studied them upon Juniper becoming fluent in Zemeni. Thus meaning Juniper was the only one of the Crows who could easily navigate her way around the country, and the thought was difficult for her to grasp.

She had spent years trying to forget the language after discovering that any time she so much as thought of the language, her mind would be plagued by flashbacks of her mother's death. It took years to revert her own way of thinking into Zemeni, and the rare times she did find herself needing to use the Ravkan language, each syllable brought back memories of her childhood. Of her times with her mother where she could do no harm and could be truly herself. She had long since forgotten her mother's voice or even her laughter, and every word uttered in the language around her reminded her of the fact, sending small pangs through her chest.

"We're in luck. There's a good chance we can crack on." Kaz's voice pulls Juniper from her thoughts and she raises her glass to her lips once more as they all look over to see the man join them, taking the open stool next to Jesper. "Now that we're three days travel from the capital, the next play is finding a way inside the Little Palace. It turns out the Kribirsk Archives house the Little Palace blueprints. But, they're kept under lock and key. Kept far from the prying eyes of the masses."