Chapter 1

Each chapter will be an episode, thus meaning huge chapters and SLOW UPDATES. That means that the need to ask me to update is much less necessary than as it with my other stories. Don't get me wrong, I love being reminded to update, because I truly am a forgetful person and I love that you guys are eager for another chapter.

Just to put into frame why the updates will be so slow, normal chapters of any story of mine are around 1,000-2,000 words a piece. An episode of a show is typically broken into around 5 chapters. It only takes a day or so max to write a normal chapter. 

In Shadow and Bone, episodes are nearly an hour long, compared to typical 45 minute episodes. There are only 8 episodes of the show. (Yes, that means only 8 actual chapters until season 2. Suck it up.) This first chapter is about 5,000 words and took a week of consecutive writing to make. Which means writing every single chance I get. I don't always do that. 

So please, be patient with me. Updates will most likely be a week+ apart. If you're confused on the little bold letters and numbers randomly in paragraphs, go look at "Juniper Outfits". That being said, welcome to Girl Almighty.

P.S., thanks to Samanddean18 for helping me create Juniper and decide how to start this story.

(Always gonna be 3rd P.O.V.)

The sounds of chaos and laughter echo around the streets of the Barrel, most people running about in an attempt to escape the icy downpour of rain plaguing the island town. The streets are barely lit by scarce lanterns, leaving folks no choice but to scatter into buildings for shelter. One building in particular is packed to the brim with people of every shape, size, and color. Each employee is hard at work, focused on their task. The gambling tables are bustling, each seat taken by someone growing increasingly more intoxicated as the bartenders make their rounds.

One bartender stands out from all the rest as she navigates the busy club, an air of confidence seeping from her as her heels click against the hardwood floors. Her long curls fall down her back, a tight braid lining one side of her scalp to keep the hair at bay. Her top exposes her defined collarbones along with the dark crow tattoo just underneath them. Her long ruffled skirt with an equally long slit in the side sways as she walks, exposing a long dark leg marked with a jagged white scar with every other step. (s5, t7, b2) Strapped to her hips are two shiny revolvers, one purple and one white, and every regular knows better than to doubt the woman's ability to use them.

"Yes, I love it! Darling, please. Drinks here. Drinks all round here, please!" One gambler, a heavy set man with long hair and a shaggy beard calls out as she goes to pass his table.

"Coming right up." She replies, her grin weakening the knees of anyone who sees it and her voice fluttering hearts. She shares a knowing look with a dark-skinned man at the end of the table as she walks to the bar, both of them knowing the man is paying and playing with fake money.

"Hey, you take Zemeni coin, yes?" The gambler asks, flicking a bag of coins to the card dealer at the end of the table. His eyes lock on the bartender as she makes her way back to them, tray of glasses in hand.

"Let me see that." The dark-skinned man demands of the dealer as the enchanting bartender begins handing out drinks. He effortlessly catches the coin tossed at him, fiddling with it as he speaks. "The Lucky Nine casino up the block has had trouble with counterfeit coin lately. Heavy, but brittle."

"Oh come on, now." The first man laughs, his long hair swishing as the bartender nears him. "I've been here for hours. My money is good, no?"

The man holding the coin looks at the bartender with a questioning look and she smirks.