{Chapter 2}

"Swipe straight down into the sand and maneuver your paw up once you've got a pawful of it." Icefern instructed, showing a small demonstration.

It was afternoon now, the early morning troubles slowly leaving Whistlepaw's mind. Frogpaw was punished and was forced to do chores around camp. Of course, neither her nor Finchspot were happy about this.

Whistlepaw kept telling herself that it wasn't her fault, but that didn't really work. Going back to Icefern's lesson, she jammed her paw into the sand and flung it up, only for it to be completely sloppy and hardly direct.

Icefern blinked at her. Whistlepaw awkwardly glanced at her mentor "I don't think I did it right, heh," she gave a nervous laugh, hoping that would make things better. Icefern's tail twitched "Would you like me to show you again?"

"No, I got it down, I just can't seem to move my paw up and out so quickly," Whistlepaw responded, a tad bit confused. Icefern studied her paws before holding out a light grey colored paw "Watch me."

Whistlepaw stared down at her mentor's paw, watching closely "Just go down," -He moved his paw down- "Then scoop," -He folded his paw up- "And lastly, up and out." -He pretended to throw a pawful of dust.

Icefern looked up at her "Got it?" He asked. Whistlepaw slowly nodded, getting herself ready to try again. Icefern moved aside, settling down a few tail lengths away from her. Down, scoop, up and out. That should be easy enough.

She slammed her paw into the ground, scooped up a pawful of sand, and shot it up and out. I did it! She thought, joy gleaming in her eyes "Eep!" A voice squeaked from where her sand attack had landed.

Both cats jumped at the sound, Icefern quickly getting to his paws "Whose there?" the old warrior demanded, Whistlepaw standing by his side. She braced herself for an attack, her body crouched.

"Calm down, Icefern, it's only us," Foxwatcher's voice sounded from behind a palm tree. The dark grey tabby deputy padded out from behind the tree, Snakepaw joining him "Your sand attack nearly hit my face!"

Whistlepaw blinked, her pelt prickling with embarrassment "I'm sorry, Snakepaw. Are you okay?" Whistlepaw asked, racing over to her friend. Snakepaw shook her fur out, flinging only small amounts of sand off her.

"I'm fine, just barely missed your attack," Snakepaw responded, giving her shoulder fur a quick lick. Foxwatcher turned to speak with Icefern, commenting on Whistlepaw's training "If it isn't too much of a bother, could we possibly train with you two?"

Icefern smiled at the deputy "We wouldn't mind at all, now would we Whistlepaw?" Icefern rumbled, turning to his apprentice "Sure! I'd love to train with Snakepaw." Whistlepaw responded, smiling at her mentor.

"Very well, should we start off with some basic moves and then do a scrimmage?" Foxwatcher suggested, turning to Icefern "That works with me." Icefern responded, flicking his tail to Whistlepaw.

She got up and padded over to her mentor, Snakepaw joining Foxwatcher. After going over some basic moves with Icefern, it was time to put them to the test. She really wanted to try out her sand attack, but she probably shouldn't use it on her friend.

What if I just use a light stun? Would it be enough to hopefully not blind her? She wondered, padding over to her spot. Snakepaw took the other end of the clearing, setting her paws in the sand. Whistlepaw did the same, flexing her claws.

Foxwatcher moved in between them, his tail twitching "Remember, this is only a practice run, you will not fight with unsheathed claws." Foxwatcher reminded them, glancing at both of them. Both apprentices nodded, their gazes determined.

Foxwatcher moved back over to Icefern, yowling "You may begin!" Snakepaw charged at Whistlepaw, leaping into the air. Whistlepaw threw one paw up in the air, hoping to smack her in the face. She missed by a mouse length and Snakepaw leaped over her.

Whistlepaw whipped around, but by the time she did, Snakepaw had wiggled underneath her stomach and was kicking her from underneath. Whistlepaw hissed, grabbing a hold on Snakepaw's shoulder.

She quickly threw the short-tailed apprentice away, lashing her tail. Snakepaw tumbled over, but quickly got to her paws. Whistlepaw charged at Snakepaw, kicking up sand as she ran. She tackled the apprentice over, slamming her to the ground.

Snakepaw flopped to the ground, not moving. Whistlepaw paused, stared down at her friend. What is she doing? Did I hurt her? She wondered, panic beginning to rise inside her. She poked Snakepaw with one paw, unsure of what to do.

Snakepaw's paw slammed into the ground and she threw sand straight at Whistlepaw. She leaped back, trying to protect her eyes. Luckily, it wasn't a full force, but it still kinda stung. Snakepaw quickly tripped Whistlepaw over and pinned her to the ground.

"The match is over, Snakepaw wins!" Foxwatcher announced, standing to his paws. Whistlepaw had finally cleared off the sand from her eyes and could see Foxwatcher gazing proudly at Snakepaw.

"That was fun! I wanna go again!" Snakepaw squeaked, gracefully leaping off Whistlepaw. Foxwatcher approached the two apprentices, Icefern slowly joining him "We'll have time to practice again some other day, Snakepaw."

Snakepaw let out an unhappy grumble, but didn't complain. Icefern approached Whistlepaw, who was now sitting up and cleaning herself "Good job Whistlepaw, you made a nice move knocking Snakepaw over."

Whistlepaw glanced down at her mentor, letting out a sigh "I hardly did anything, and it feels like I did absolutely horribly," Whistlepaw murmured, shaking out one paw "Is that because Snakepaw beat you?" He asked, cocking a cat brow.

Whistlepaw rolled her eyes playfully "Only a little bit of it," she responded. Icefern chuckled "Do not fret, Whistlepaw, you've still got lots to learn." Icefern reassured her, getting to his paws. Whistlepaw smiled gratefully at her mentor.

The group began to head back to the SeaClan camp, cleaning themselves off in the ocean for a moment. Whistlepaw let out a relieved sigh as she felt the water flow through her fur. Snakepaw joined her, helping to splash water onto her back.

Whistlepaw did the same for Snakepaw once she felt clean enough, making sure not to hit Snakepaw's face. Once they had finished cleaning off, they rolled in some fresh grass to mask the scent of the salty ocean.

It felt nice being able to roll in some grass to dry her off. Finally, they had made it home. They entered the shell covered tunnel, entering the main clearing. Foxwatcher had taken the lead with the two apprentices in the middle and Icefern taking the rear.

Foxwatcher dismissed them before padding off to report to Milkstar. Icefern padded over to the fresh-kill pile, joining Oatwhisper. Snakepaw and Whistlepaw raced over to the apprentices den, joining Onepaw and Blackpaw.

She flopped down beside her sister, letting out a happy sigh. I wish everyday could be like this.