Chapter two

'Cloves POV'

After lunch with Colton we walk back to the training center to drop me off. "See you soon Colt." I say hugging him like there's no tomorrow. "Don't be such a big baby Clover I'll be there before you know it to pick you up." He says reassuringly. Honestly why does everybody call me everything besides my real name? "It's Clove." I mumble but at this point I don't care anymore he is my brother so he can really call me whatever he wants.

As I walk into the training center I am greeted by Cato. "What do you want?" I ask crossing my arms. "Just wanting to get to know my fellow district partner thats all." He says with a sly smirk. "Oh really?" I mumble quiet enough so no one can hear me. "What did you say, shorty." He ask's me harshly. "You wouldn't understand, anyway. Well now that we've gotten 'aquainted' can you go!" I ask even more harsh. "You don't want to get to know the big bad Cato Hadley?" He asks hovering over me. "Yeah, there is just nothing interesting about you thats all." I say confindently. That shut him up so with that I walked to my favorite section of the center. You guessed it the throwing knives. I don't know why I like them, wait no love them so much. They just seem to be for me, like they were made just for me!

The day goes faster than ever because I have been at the knives the whole time. Duh. Anyways The Cato boy didn't bother me for the rest of the day which is kinda a record for him, though I've only known him for like six hours. I'm so focused with my knives that I don't even notice there is someone tapping my shoulder. "Clove!" Someone shouts. I turn around from my knife throwing and point the blade at them. "Ahh, what the literal hell!" I scream before realising its only Colton. "Woah, its just me your gorgeous brother." I roll my eyes at that statement. "You nearly got yourself killed so don't ever scare me again like that." I rant at him. "Geez just trying to go home with you, thats all." Colton says without hesitation. "That sounded wrong, Colt." I say and after I say that we both burst out laughing. "Ok...lets...get...out...of...here." Colton says in between laughs, and with that said we leave.

On the way home Colton asks me the one thing I never expected to hear. "Do you want to go into the games Clove?" He asks me. You know its serious when he calls you by your real name and not by a nickname. "Um..." I get lost in my own words. Should I lie or tell the truth? "Um, kinda if you know what I mean." I say looking at my shoes. "I don't know what you 'mean' Clove, its a yes or no answer and I want you to be honest." He says tapping my shoulder knowing that he won't get mad on what I say. "No, not really its just-" My voice fails me. "its just if I don't win I'll die and if I die you won't have anyone to love same goes with mom and Caleb (My little brother)." I say shivering at the thought of dying. 

"Its just I know mom wants you to volunteer i just want to make sure she's not forcing you to do stuff you don't wanna." He says with a genuine smile. "It's fine, I mean heaven isn't very different then the world its just your dead." I say throwing my arms in the sky. "You know being a victor isn't as good as you think." Colton says through the awkward silence. "Why?" I ask curiously. "If I tell you, you'll kill yourself in the arena and your not dying on my watch." And with that said we walk home in silence.

"Mom, we're home!" I say hoping she is home. When me and Colton hear no response we ask again, "Mom?" Colton screams. Thats when we hear a loud thud coming from the stairs. We rush over only to see Caleb looking like he just cried his eyes off. "Bud, whats wrong, where's mom?" I ask curiously. "They took her, Snow and the peacekeepers. They kicked open the door and took mom, I asked them what they were doing with her and all they said was 'I was too young to know and to ask Colton'." Caleb explained, I looked up at Colton and his cheerful face turned into a 'that's not good' face. "What?!" I ask Colton worried that something will happen to mom. "We have to go to the justice building now, get your sweaters now!" He said handing us our sweaters. "But its literally so warm right now its September 3rd and its as warm as July." I protest. "Just do it Clove for your safety." He says giving me the look. "Fine" I think in my head. 

Just as we are about to walk out of the house we hear a knock on the door. "Who is it!" I yell but I smack my hands over my mouth knowing it could be a peacekeeper. "Uh...Cato your 'district' partner in the games. I just want to give you your knives you forgot them." He says outside the door. I walk up to him and grab them. "Thank y-" But I am cut off from the sound of guns. "Get in here now Cato!" I say yanking him in. I slam the door shut and lock it. "Why are the peacekeepers shooting at this time of day at this time of year." I ask everyone. "There must have been a shoplift near by. Remember whenever that happens the shoot to signal people that someone dangerous is out there." Colton explains. "Well now you've scared us!" I whisper-scream at him. 

After a couple of minutes there is a woman speaking over the loud speaker saying that the shoplifter was found and that its safe to go outside. "Bye Cato!" I yell at him while he exits. "Bye." I hear him say back. 

After he is gone we go to the justice building and try to find mom. No luck. But then we hear a screaming, not an 'I'm in pain' a 'help me' sorta scream. We follow the voice and as we anticipated it was mom. "Mom!" Caleb screams. "I'm fine just go back home to dad, go!" My mom responds. Mom must be getting tortured because surely she remembers dad is dead. He died a couple of days after Colton won. People say its because Snow wants to hurt you after you win but I believe is that a victors most loved won will always die. "Why is he doing that to her, Snow. Why?" I ask looking at Colton. "It's because Clove, I'm a victor, I won the damn games." He explains. "So you're saying even if you win the games the games never leave you?" I ask curiously? "That is exactly what I'm saying you never win the games."

A/N I know there is not a lot of clato action but I promise its coming!