7

by the second and third flirty comment, august was about to give up on me. the sly smile he had at the start of the conversation had very well faded.

"we're throwing a party for the prince's initiation, you should go" he said reluctantly, as his final attempt.

i looked away from my teacher talking and turned my sight to august.

"yeah?" i said, giving in and smiling slightly: showing the smallest hint of interest.

"ja, det börjar kl 23.00."
"11 P.M"
he said, breaking into a grin again.

"is there a dress code or something like that?" i asked.

"no. but personally, if i were you i'd want to make a good impression on my cousin, the prince"

he loved flexing that he was related to the royal family.

"i think i am past first impressions with him" i replied, remembering our rather humiliating incident of him running full force into me.
but august didn't know this happened, so what i said could've meant anything to him.

"ah. you've met him?"
he questioned. the smile on his face starting to look forced now.

"yeah. we met earlier today."

"you did?"
his eyebrows went up.
"but- he went straight to the main building after getting here."

it seemed i had hit a nerve. as much as they were related, he was jealous of wilhelm. it felt like he had everything august didn't.
he probably didn't want me included in the extended list of 'stuff wille has that august doesn't.'

"i happened to run into him before that." i answered nonchalantly, playing with my pen.
"he was really nice"
i said. this as my final slightly irritating comment towards august.

"i see." he replied dryly.

after a couple minutes of silence, august returned to his original seat, leaving me by myself.

after the class ended, august approached me once more.

"do you need help getting to your next class?" he asked, looking down at me. i had only noticed our height difference.
i was tall-ish, but he was really tall for some odd reason. around 6'3/190.

i looked up at him, trying to play off that his height made him even more attractive.

"i'm good, but thank you."
i shook my head, packing up my things.

"i could..."
he turned to his friend vincent.
"vincent hur säger man "bär din ryggsäck" på engelska?"

vincent let out a laugh, and replied.
"carry your backpack."

august turned back to me again.
"carry your backpack." he said, smiling and tilting his head at me.

"i don't need help."

"but- wouldn't you rather not have to carry a heavy backpack all around the school?" he questioned me, still being persistent.

i scoffed and shook my head, but handed him my school bag.

"happy?" i asked.

"mycket"
(very)
he replied in no time, still smiling.

i sighed loudly, and began walking, motioning for him to follow me.