The Police.

(cw: more suicide mentions!!)

[sᴘᴇᴀᴋɪɴɢ/ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏғғɪᴄᴇʀ's ᴍɪɴᴅ]
3/5/2024

"... so he killed himself? And we're supposed to just believe that? Are we sure it wasn't framed as a suicide?" I ask. This story has so many loose ends, a set-up is a possibility.

"Yes sir, we're quite sure. We've checked all the security cameras in the building and there's nothing that shows he didn't do it to himself."

"Hm. Do we think Miller could be involved? Convenient that he was there on the day of his death, hm?" Miller has to be involved in his death. It's too coincidental that he made an appointment to go see Dr Green on the day he died.

"It is quite a coincidence, sir, but we are certain he wasn't involved. Maybe Green was genuinely strug-"

"No, no, he must be involved somehow. There's no way he isn't. He's been a patient of Dr Green's for months now, he had to have done something which affected him..."

"Sir, maybe, this time, Dylan had nothing to do with it. It's probable that he's changed his ways. It's been a few months since his last victim, so maybe he's gotten better..? It's quite possible."

"..."

"Sir?"

"..."

"Officer Newfield? A-Are you alright?"

"Ah, my apologies. I must have zoned out."

"That's quite alri-"

"Dylan has to be involved. He was there. He was in his office, we know he was. Anderson told us he was. She booked his appointment for God's sake!"

"Here's some coffee, drink some. You must be calm, sir, this is a serious accusation, especially with no proof."

"Right, yes, I know. I just... I can't shake the feeling that he killed him," I say, taking a few gulps of coffee. "Thank you. There must be something we're missing. Some kind of evidence that Dr Green left for us to find, anything."

I pause for a moment and sigh.

"We'll keep looking," I demand, whilst drinking the rest of the bitter liquid. "The investigation doesn't end until I can prove that Miller has a connection to this tragedy."

"Are you sure..? It's been about a week of searching, we can't keep his office on lockdown for much longer."

Taking a deep breath in and out, I nod my head. Lieutenant Redwood hesitantly nods back and walks out of my office, closing the door behind them. I lean back against my desk, holding onto it with both hands. Exhaling deeply, I stare up towards the ceiling and mutter to myself.

"Just a few more days... just a few more. And I'll finally be able to arrest that son of a bitch, Dylan Miller."

- - -

3/10/2024

"So, what's going on?" I arrive at the hospital after being called here due to an apparent discovery. Another officer approaches me and starts explaining.

"Officer Newfield, good to see you. I'm Sergeant Herrin from the agency across town." We shake hands before she continues. "As you know, the forensic team has been working very hard the past week or so and they hadn't found any of the evidence that you've been itching to find, until today."

"Hm? Enlighten me." I respond, whilst she leads me to a table in the late doctor's office.

"As you can see, they already investigated the entire office, including the blood splatters and the direction of them, et cetera, et cetera. But today they started the autopsy, looking for signs of struggle, and they found a few bruises on his arm. They look to be handprints, and it doesn't make sense as to why Green would have any bruises if he shot himself."