Part 12: One Week Home

Word count: 3.4k

Warnings: 18+ no minors please. Swearing, alcohol, mentions of medical emergencies.

 Swearing, alcohol, mentions of medical emergencies

Jake had been home for seven days.

The first day, all he did was sleep and eat. It was a Saturday, so Flick was off the clock and at liberty to spend hour upon hour curled up next to him, though she did find time during his long naps to nip to the store and stock the cupboards with his favourite treats. He'd been so deep in the land of nod that he barely noticed she'd gone.

Sunday passed much in the same way, but he mustered the energy to have a mid-afternoon shower and get properly dressed so he and Flick could go for a slow walk along the beach. He gave her the green light to ask him about his mission, knowing all too well that she was probably fit to burst with questions about every detail. He shared as much as he was legally able and told the tale of his and Ella's unlikely truce.

"She was utterly wretched to you Jake; she made your life hell for six months. Are you sure all of that can be forgotten?"

Flick was slow to forgive when it came to people who'd hurt him. Jake adored the ferocity of her protectiveness, it was a feeling he'd never quite found anywhere else, but he trusted his judgement on this occasion too.

"Cinders practically saved my life," Jake said. "Besides, if she really was an asshole, she wouldn't have cared at all, right?"

You taught me that, he added in his head.

Flick's lips quirked, knowing exactly what he was referring to.

"Hmm. I guess. Not sure I'll be sending her flowers anytime soon though."

Day three was Monday, but Flick had conspired with colleagues to get her tutorials and lectures covered so they could spend more time together. She dragged him to a local café for waffles (not that he needed much convincing), and then they spent the afternoon with her mum.

Betty March insisted on being able to dote on her "son-in-law" and, when Flick, pink-cheeked, pointed out that wasn't exactly true, the older woman just waved her hands and said "Let your momma dream" before sending a wink Jake's way. Thankfully Kodak (Betty's puppy) chose that moment to almost bowl him over and all attention turned back to the happy ball of fluff.

On Tuesday, Flick had to go back to work.

"The future of America's youth depends on you," Jake joked before kissing her on the way out the door.

"God help them," Flick joked back, kissing him again. And again.

And then he was alone. Which felt strange. He didn't know what to do with himself without Flick to plan his day around or the routine of carrier life to give purpose to every minute. He felt somewhat the same after every deployment – lost and untethered like a balloon that had been let go, but he felt it more keenly this time around.