6: Scar

There's a new message from Xisuma upon returning home at the end of my second day as a Hawk.

Dear Scar,

As it has been some time since I retired my position as leader of the Hawks, I've become out of touch with them, especially the Fledglings like you.

I was therefore wondering whether you'd be willing to keep me updated on your progress as one. I believe yesterday was your first day -- how was it?

Hope to hear back from you soon.

Xisuma

I read it through a couple of times, just to check I've understood. The ex-leader of the Hawks, one of my biggest inspirations, wants to talk to me. Regularly. I quickly reply.

Dear Xisuma,

I'd be honoured to stay in touch with you! You've always been a huge inspiration for me in becoming a Hawk. Do you have any tips for me to become a better flier? Officer Grian, my mentor, says I'll get to go in a (virtual) plane for the first time tomorrow!

My first two days have been great! I've met so many amazing people already. From the bottom of my heart, thank you so much for getting me a place in the Hawks.

Your sincerely,

Scar.

'SCAR WATCH OUT!' Quickly become Grian's catchphrase copiloting in the flight simulators. Whenever I suddenly dive, or almost hit something, he yells it and I'm left swerving quickly out the way. Or... almost out the way. I become glad that the system doesn't keep track of crashes as I end all of my flights in my first week as a Hawk being sent to either a virtual-reality hospital or graveyard with a lot of swearing and panic.

'You told me day 1 you're always playing flying games,' Grian says as the cockpit screens turn to black again. 'What happened?'

'Well... they're different.'

'Different? If you've got the official Hawk ones, they should be a pretty good representation of actual flying.'

'Yeah, but... there more to being a Hawk than just flying!' I make up something Grian's probably told me before. He sighs.

'You got the Hawk-base simulator, didn't you?'

'What?' I give an awkward laugh.

'The one where you pretend you're running the Hawks? With the terrible flying mechanics?'

'Well... Bdubs only let me buy 1 game!' I try to justify. Grian laughs. 'I wanted the proper flying game, I promise! I'm- I'm really good at Hawk-Captains! I'll show you!'

'How?' 

'Well...' Behind, Grian restarts the simulation and the screens return to an image of the plane on one of the runways. 'Well, how would you like to come over to my flat? Tonight, maybe, though I need to check with Bdubs. We can play Hawk-Captains, and you can meet my favourite person in the entire world, Bdubs. And...'

'I mean, that all sounds lovely, Scar but...'

'Great! I'll ask Bdubs! And now that's sorted let's start another flight and...'

'Scar... you remember what we said last time.' I sigh, shoulders sagging. 'And proper posture, Scar. You don't want to end up with back problems.'

'Fine...' I'm left waiting for a few minutes until Grian speaks again.

'This is Officer Grian in the HC6 GX_001. We are clear for take off.'

I start the engines and 'take off' on another simulation flight.

By 5pm, leaving the Hawk facilities, Grian's warmed greatly to the idea of coming round to dinner. But I also, seeing Bdubs expression as we leave together, realise I forgot to warn him,

'Hey Bdubs... is there room for 3 tonight?'

'Who's this?'

'This is Officer Grian! He's been showing me everything about being a Hawk. He's an amoyzing flier. Can he come around for dinner with us?'

'I don't know, Scar...'

'Bdubs, please...'

'I'm sorry, if you don't want me around that's perfectly fine. I know it's all very sudden.' But my pleading expression works.

'No, no... we've got space. Just... warn me next time, Scar. Come on.'

It isn't a long journey back home, into our flat. Grian looks around, intrigued, as Bdubs starts making dinner. I run over to the shelves of stuff, quickly finding my box of models.

'Grian! Do you want to see my plane collection?'

'Yeah? Have you got my one in there?'

'The... HC6?' I carefully remove the top planes, finding Grian's model. 'This looks right?'

'That's really cool.'

'I know, right? And the cockpit opens as well, and the wheels spin... Oh! There's my favourite plane! It's a VX_5, the kind of plane Officer Cub flies! He's my favourite Hawk.'

'Officer Cub?'

'Yeah! He's in Hawkeye 3, the best Hawkeye film. And it's not just the best because Cub's in it, oh no...'

'Hawkeye 3? Wait, that's the one they banned, isn't it?'

'Scar, do you want to help me with the dinner?' Bdubs intervenes, approaching.

'But I'm showing our guest all my amoyzing stuff!'

'Well... Maybe that shouldn't include your banned film.' He whispers the last two words. I sigh.

'Grian's friendly though!'

'He's in contact with Elex, who's probably in contact with the Watchers! You'll get yourself into trouble, Scar!'