Chapter 6

As I sat motionless in the driver's seat, the aftermath of my actions settled upon me like a heavy fog, suffocating and unyielding. "All right, it's done and over with," I murmured to myself, though the words tasted bitter on my tongue. What did it matter, anyway? What did any of it matter? The futile repetition of that phrase echoed hollowly in the confines of my mind, a desperate attempt to convince myself of a truth I couldn't grasp.

With each passing mile on the lonely road home, the weight of obligation bore down upon me, relentless and unforgiving. It wasn't just about the money anymore; it was about the relentless cycle of secrets and lies that defined our existence. The population deserved to know, yet what difference would it make? The truth, like everything else, was fleeting and inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

As the darkness swallowed the landscape around me, a sense of inadequacy consumed my thoughts like a ravenous beast. Who was I, a broken soul with a tarnished past, to challenge the machinations of a world so inherently corrupt? The doubts gnawed at my resolve, leaving behind only the bitter taste of failure. And yet, amid the suffocating despair, there flickered small, fragile glimmers of hope. Perhaps, just perhaps, there was still a chance for redemption, a chance to defy the inevitability of our own insignificance.

"Preposterous!" I scoffed aloud, the sound lost in the darkness that surrounded me as I pulled the car to a stop on the deserted roadside. The headlights blinked off, plunging me into a sea of shadows, each one whispering doubts into the recesses of my mind. It was a moment of clarity, a brief respite from the chaos of my thoughts. No, it couldn't be as simple as strolling up to Jackie and casually revealing my role in the clandestine delivery of her top-secret letter. The sheer audacity of such an approach bordered on madness, and yet...

As the darkness pressed in around me, I found my mind racing ahead, conjuring visions of elaborate schemes and convoluted plots to engineer a chance encounter with Jackie. But with each fanciful idea that flitted through my mind, a wave crashed over me, leaving me adrift in a sea of voices- voice of my father telling me I'd never amount to more than a fast food worker so what in the world makes you think you can play super spy? What if he could be right- my plans were too contrived, too transparent in their desperation? What if Jackie saw through the façade, leaving me exposed and vulnerable to the harsh realities of rejection and humiliation? Fuck him- he's dead...to me anyway and you know what I worked in fast food in high school- it's harder than it looks and if I recall they stayed open during that massive epidemic back in 2020 so they must be pretty fucking important after all.

With a resigned sigh, I flicked on the car's ignition, the engine roaring to life with a comforting hum. There was no use dwelling on the uncertainties; all I could do was press forward, one step at a time. And so, with determination coursing through my veins, I steered the car back onto the road, the faint glimmer of streetlights beckoning me onward. But as I drove, my thoughts drifted to the warm glow of the bar where old colleagues awaited, their laughter and camaraderie if you know who's side your playing on, I mean they would never want to be apart of something like this. I mean it's been a long time, a very long time for very good reasons. All of them I couldn't seem to remember at this very moment for some reason but I would find whatever I needed there if all it meant was a frosty, crisp glass of Big Wave.