Chapter 4

The holographic message illuminated the dimly lit room, drawing a furrowed brow from my forehead. "To be delivered to Mayor Jaqueline." The words seemed like an alien concept in a world like mine, tainted by the shadows of a tumultuous past. Politics, especially those entangling the mayor, were distant concerns to me—an ex-con trying to rebuild a life outside the confines of my mistakes. The instinct to steer clear of anything political clashed with the thought that this message was indeed delivered to only me. What does that mean? Why was I chosen for this task? I don't think I would be a fit suitor for such a responsibility.

Memories of my checkered past flashed before my eyes—the choices that led me down a path of desperation, the alliances forged with the wrong crowd, and the questionable deeds committed in the name of survival. The holographic message arrived, shattering the fragile peace I had worked hard to establish. A knot of uncertainty tightened in my gut as I considered the implications of this unexpected mission.

In the aftermath of the last civil war, my family and the resonating consequences of sequential generations had clawed their way out of the darkness, gaining space from the unsavory connections that had once defined my existence. Education was my lifeline, my attempt to break free from the cycle of criminality that plagued my family for generations. It didn't end up panning out how I had hoped. So, here I was, staring at a message demanding my involvement in a political affair.

The once-thriving companies, now consumed by greed, cared little for their employees, consumers, or each other. Working long hours left people too exhausted to pursue opportunities for self-improvement. Despite nominal earnings, bills swallowed up the meager income, leaving just enough for a brief respite. Survival had become a daily struggle in an unsustainable system. So should I really have to rethink this decision? I mean is there really a choice?

A sigh escaped. "I'm the least fitting person for this job," echoed in my head like the speed at which a hot drink vibrates with atoms, highlighting the irony of a wasteland survivor tasked with a delivery that defied logic. With reluctance and curiosity intertwined, they steeled themselves for the journey ahead, facing the unknown in the mail destined for Mayor Jaqueline.

As I contemplated the perplexing assignment, the echoes of a city recovering from the aftermath of war reverberated in my mind. The once-thriving metropolis now stood as a testament to the scars left by greed and neglect. The holographic message seemed like a paradox, summoning me from the outskirts of society to the heart of political intrigue. Questions lingered: Was this a mistake, a twisted joke, or a call to confront my past? The contradictions embedded in this mission mirrored the conflicts within me.