TWENTY

The party was held on Sunday evening. Miranda gushed about how she missed Lara so much over the week when she met her again.

She had invited most of her friends to the party, and she held nothing back to show her off to her other wealthy friends.

Every party for Miranda was just another chance to socialize and expand one's connection. Shane's mom wasn't necessarily vain, but she was good at making and expanding her influence in the world of wealthy women's groups she was a member of.

Virtually all the women Lara had been introduced to loved her and were immediately taken with her.

Thankfully, Miranda did most of the talking, so when she was asked anything personal she would rather not answer, Miranda expertly answered in a way that made sense but was a deviation from the actual truth.

Not that she knew it was a deviation; her forward nature had prompted her to answer the questions, deducing her answers from the conversation they had had over the previous week when she had come to visit with Shane.

Lara smiled and greeted the dignitaries she was introduced to throughout the party, never having to smile as much as that.

Shane's world was far higher in standards than hers, and it didn't matter that she had been made up to fit in or that she had been singled out by the host as a guest of honor to be introduced to the moguls; she couldn't help but still feel a tinge of awkwardness settle within her as she associated with those way-out-of-her-league and upper-class ladies and women.

While Shane was kept busy by the rest of the well-wishers, he stole glances at where Lara was with his mom. He knew she was in his safe hands, and from where he was, he could see Miranda was doing a great job getting Lara to warm up to the party.

She would be a proud mother-in-law.

A smile tipped the corners of his lips, and his heart leaped in excitement at the thought of that. He had always known that he was attracted to and couldn't get over Lara for a reason.

She was the woman for him.

Shane excused himself from the company of his other acquaintances and walked over to where Lara was as he observed she had excused herself from his mom's group.

Lara picked up a glass of wine from the tray raised by a waiter passing by and took a drink from it. She felt relieved as she felt the liquid wash down her throat.

Shane smoothly stepped into her side, planting his hand lightly on her lower back, and she smiled, relaxing into his embrace.

"Hey," he whispered against the side of her ear, nuzzling her cheek with the tip of his nose.

"Hey," Lara returned.

"How are you feeling?"

"Wonderful. Your mom has been a perfect host all through the evening. Her personality is superb. How are you feeling as well, birthday man?" She smiled up at him, leaning up to plant a kiss on the corner of his mouth.

A mischievous twinkle lit in his eyes, and he held her by the waist. "I feel cheated that my mom had to steal you away for herself for half the hours of the evening, but I have the perfect plan to make me feel good. Want to check out the house?"

Lara smiled back. "I believe, Mister, your presence is still needed here."

Shane lowered his lips to meet hers and softly kissed her. Lara stroked his chin teasingly and kissed him back, their lips puckering in delight.

"Now you are making me reconsider not taking you up the stairs," Shane murmured over her lips.

"I thought we were checking out the house," Lara teased in return.