The Maths Teacher

Swara narrowed her eyes at the woman walking towards the staff room.

She whispered to one of her friends, "Yahi hai na?"

She got a nod in return to which she smirked. The woman would know exactly who she must not mess with!

She had a suspicion that there was more to the story than Sia had told them last day. She had inquired her friend's younger brother who was coincidentally in the same class as Sia, about the same and what he had told had shocked her!

The lady intentionally fired her with out of course questions even before starting the topic and humiliated her when she didn't tell her the answer. She had infact given her numerous recess detentions for trivial infractions like turning around or even sneezing at the wrong time. Swara's blood boiled when the boy told her that the teacher had gone as far as to hit her knuckle with the ruler once!

Swara did her research on the teacher and got to know that there was atleast one child in each class who got targeted by the teacher this way. She was one of those teachers who targeted the toppers and famous students of the school and took explicit pleasure in humiliating them. 

Sia was one such victim and Ira didn't like the fact one bit! She was Siara Ranawat. Her little sister. Someone who had two elder siblings to protect her from all wrongs of the world. Her eyes blazed as the long list rewinded in her mind.

She walked in the staff room without knocking the door. The school had organised a session for the teachers during recess as a result of which there were no teachers in the staff room except her.

She royally entered the staff room and shut the door behind her with a thud. The woman jerked in surprise and gave a questioning look to Swara.

Ms. Lata Mishra , the much debated maths teacher of the school was known for her strict nature and uptight standards. However, all her principles and expectations took a backseat as soon as she spotted a rich,privelleged kis doing well in academics. Growing up in a lower middle class family, she had prided herself with her academic intellect. At the age of 11, she was awarded a scholarship which opened the gates of the best school in her city.

However, the more she tried to fit in amongst the rich kids, the more her insecurities and frustation grew over time. She started despising the all rounder, privelleged kids with a passion. When she decided to be a teacher, she made a vow that she'll drag all those brats to their right place. And she always stood by it.

Lata said,"Don't you have any manners? Staff room me aise ghuste hai?"

Ira sassed,"Don't you have common sense, woman? Aise baccho ko mentally torture karte hai?"

Lata offended, "Excuse me?"

Ira, "You are not excused. How dare you? Himmat kaise Hui aapki Swara Ranawat ki choti behen ko target karne ki?"

Lata gave her a vicious look, "Oh toh tum uss bigdi hui ladki ki behen ho? Lagti bhi ho! She dared to complain right? She'll regret this."

Ira's eyes darkened, "Oh trust me! Agar aapne humari behen se ab uchi awaaz me baat bhi ki toh I will make sure that you regret your existence."

Lata smirked, "Abhi dhang se paida bhi nahi Hui ho aur mujhe dhamki de rahi ho?"

Ira, "Dhamki nahi hai. Warning hai. Agar hum apni pe aa gaye toh accha nahi hoga aapke liye."

Lata, "Bohot zaban chal rahi hai na tumhari. Tumhare mizaz se lagta hai kitni bigdi hui ho tum. Koi baat nahi. Tum jaise bigde hue baccho ko sudharne me PhD hai mujhe. Just wait and watch! Chalo principal office me."

Ira smirked, "Oh really? Chaliye. Par usse pehle hum toh aapko ek baat batana hi bhul gaye! Actually dikhana tha! Have a look."

Lata looked at the paper and was shocked. Names of around ten kids of middle school was printed on the page. And coincidentally, these were the names of the same kids she used to bully. She looked at the girl shocked.

Ira, "Pehchane ye naam? Pehchaan hi liye honge. Accha have a look at this!"

She handed out a newspaper cutting to the teacher. It stated how a private school teacher bullied a kid to the extent that the kid tried to commit suicide. The name of the teacher was....Lata Mishra!

The woman gulped. The private school had done it's best to supress the case and later asked her to resign with a warning to leave the city.

Ira, "Aapko iss school se nikalwane ke liye toh yeh kuch naam hi kaafi hai. This report is just a cherry on top. Mind it, this institution has strict policies against bullying! Be it student to student or teacher to student....Kya bol rahi thi aap? Chale principal ke paas?"

The teacher shook her head scared. She had definitely messed with the wrong person this time.

Ira, "If you dare to give my sister anymore trouble, then you'll regret it. I'll make sure of that!"

^^••••^^^^••••^^^^•••••^^^^••••^^

Sia,"Pata hai bhaiya! Unn maths teacher ne aaj mujhse bohot acche se behave Kiya....I mean most of the time mujhe ignore Kiya aur jab unke question ka answer Dene ke liye Maine hand raise Kiya toh ek baar me hi mujhse puch liya!"

As he had his dinner, Samman heard her ramblings with a faint smile on his lips. He patiently waited for her to complete.

Samman, "Yeh toh bohot acchi baat hai,Sia. I take it that your day went well then."

Sia nodded eagerly, "Aaj bohot dino ke baad,bhaiya. Finally, Shanti mili aaj mujhe."

Samman frowned, "Matlab har din woh aapka din spoil karti thi? Toh phir aapne hume kyun nahi bataya?"

Sia, "Arey nahi. Aisa nahi hai.."

Samman recognised a lie the moment he heard one. He was not the head of crime branch for the namesake. "Siara."

Sia looked down into her plate. She could never lie to her bhaiya.

Ira who had just been a silent spectator to the conversation decided to chime in to save her dear sister from their Bhaiya's interrogation.

Ira, "Bhaiya. Kya aap unhe interrogate kar rahe hai? She must be just venting out. Aur bola na unhone ki ab unki teacher unhe pareshan nahi karti. Nahi karti na Sia?"

Sia quickly shook her head, get awful for her sister's help.

Ira,"Dekha?"

Samman just shook his head. The sisters always joined hands against him. He could not say a word to either one of them without the other one practically chewing him off. It was always two against one. So unfair but who was he even kidding? He loved their bond just the way it was. But he couldn't let the matter go unaddressed.

Samman,"Look at me,Sia."

 He pointed at the floor in front of him clearly indicating her to stand infront of him. Sia I eyed instantly.

Samman gently held her chin,"Agar koi baat ya koi insaan aapko pareshan kare toh aap turant humare paas ayengi. You won't keep it bottled up inside you. Clear?"

Sia nodded immediately. The tone demanded immediate obedience and she knew when not to cross her brother.

Samman, "Agar woh teacher aapko dobara pareshan kare toh aap humare paas aayengi. Theek hai?"

Sia, "Ji bhaiya."

He lot go of her chin and gently kissed her forehead.

Ira pouted, "I am jealous!" 

Sia narrowed her eyes at her and poked out her tongue. Ira raised her hand to whack her but she snuggled closer to her brother. He was her safety heaven. 

Samman sighed. Their dynamics always managed to baffle him. For the rest of the dinner, he fed the two little princesses of his with his own hands.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tell me your views on the chapter.

Do vote and comment. 😀