Prologue

The storm brewing outside led the shedding leaves of the tall trees to beat loudly against the transparent window, presenting a cacophony of nature's fury. Yet, within, the inhabitant inside remained seemingly indifferent. She had no concern for that. For nothing apparently.

Only the nerve wrecking pain and the terrible sensation of the warm liquid gushing out of her mouth, sliding down her chin, staining the pristine white floor was all that mattered to her.

Her agonizing screams for help fell to deaf ears. The raging storm drowned out her futile attempts, unintentionally aiding the killer's cause. The decapitated piece of muscle she once called her tongue finally left its forlorn thrashing, relenting and accepting its fate to be cut off by the masked killer. A grim testament to her tormentor's cruelty.

With each passing moment, her hopes for survival dwindled, swallowed by the storm's relentless assault, like the trees' futile attempts to aid her.

Summoning her last vestiges of strength, she let out a horrifying, blood-curdling scream but thence she questioned herself, "Was it really for help?"; "Did she really hope she would be saved?"; "Was the thought of survival closer to her than the pain?"

Darkness coated her vision but this time she didn't try to shake herself out of it. The prospect of slipping into a dreamless oblivion now seemed more entertaining to her than the excruciating reality.

Even if it meant that she would never wake up again.