Chapter 4

I woke up to see Mack on the other end of the couch from me. I forgot she spent the night because it was our anniversary today.

"Happy Anniversary now wake up" I said hitting her with a pillow. She groaned and I hopped up to my room. I put on white shirt and a white tank top with an unbuttoned white and navy blue plaid shirt over and I tied my red converse on. I left my hair down in waves and decided against my hat. I went downstairs and Mack fell back asleep. I rolled my eyes and pulled her off the couch.

"Go get dressed" I said.

"Geez happy anniversary to you to" she said and I laughed. She went upstairs and came down in a white dress with a navy blue sweater tied over her shoulders and red flats. I sighed I guess I'm never gonna break a little tomboy out of her.

"So I was thinking since we slept in late I take you out to lunch then we head back here and exchange gifts then head to the sandlot for fireworks" I said and she nodded. I asked my dad to fill my wallet last night so I should be able to cover lunch. We walked out and down to this little diner in town. We immediately got seated by the window that looks out to the street and as I looked at the menu she smirked at me.

"Alright what's up?" I asked.

"So I didn't get the chance to ask you this last night but you and Benny huh?" She said moving her eyebrows up and down.

"It's nothing I mean yeah I like him but he would never feel the same" I said.

"Jess your so oblivious he looks at you like your a fricken angel he didn't even pull his hand away when you guys came home last night" she said.

"Yeah because I didn't want to let go" I mumbled.

"Yah but that means he could still pull away himself duh" she said and I laughed. I looked out the window next to our table and I saw the boys pass. Yeah Yeah stopped and stared right at Mackenzie. Mackenzie blushed and Yeah Yeah was practically drooling.

"Who's swooning now, oh Mackenzie Lancaster my darling lover girl" we heard Squints yell and I laughed as Yeah Yeah turned beet red. I saw Benny looking at me and I gave him a small wave. He smiled and waved back.

"We will see you at the sandlot later right?" Ham yelled through the window shoving his face on it. I nodded as we laughed. He gave me a thumbs up and they ran off again.

"He is right Yeah Yeah was swooning" I mocked and she blushed.

"Hey Benny was getting a good look to" she said and I laughed. The waitress came and we ordered then finished eating. We went to my house and sat on the couch.

"Okay you open mine first" I said handing her a small box. She nodded and opened it up.

"It's a charm bracelet just like yours" she smiled. I nodded.

"You see I have a bat charm and yours is a baseball because you can never play the game with out the baseball so thank you for always being there because I couldn't live my life without you by my side so thank you for making it possible to play the game" I said. She smiled and hugged me.

"Now your making my gift seem like a crappy one" she said through tears and I laughed letting go of the hug. She handed me a bag and I opened it up. It was a jersey with my last name on it and the number 10.

"You make ten" she said and I hugged her.

"You are literally the best" I said and she smiled. I hung it up in my room then we helped my parents set up their stuff. I looked at the time and it was time to go to the sandlot.

"Cmon" I said grabbing my mitt and running towards the sandlot. Once we got there the boys were ready to play and Yeah Yeah was practically drooling over Mack's presence.

"Benny you got firs-"

"Yeah yeah I want first bat today" Yeah Yeah cut me off. I smirked at him as he was obviously doing this to show off for Mack. Yeah Yeah blushed as I laughed.

"Kenny can I pitch?" I asked.

"Sure Jess" he smiled tossing me the ball. Yeah Yeah glared at me and I smiled rolling up my sleeves.

"Happy Fourth of July" I said before pitching the ball. Surprisingly he hit it sending it over the fence through Mr. Myrtles window. I laughed as all the color drained from his face.

"Don't worry about it we played all day anyway why don't we just take a break" Benny said and we all looked at him with pure shock. Benny walked next to me and the first firework went off. I jumped and he laughed.

"I didn't expect that" I said blushing. He put his arm over my shoulder and looked up at the fireworks.

"Some things you never expect" he said. He dropped his arm and grabbed my hand walking me over to where the boys were sitting and watching. I realized he was wearing his jersey the one he wore when he pickled the beast and I noticed where the tear was sewn. His mom must if fixed it for him. We sat down and started watching the fireworks. I saw Yeah Yeah and Mack in deep conversation and I smiled. After a while I started shivering. Of course Benny had to notice. He pulled his jersey off and wrapped it around my shoulders pulling me into him. I blushed a deep red and he smiled at me.

"Your cute when you blush" he whispered to me. His lip accidentally hit my ear and sent shivers down my spine.

"Thank you" I smiled and he nodded.

"Are you ever gonna tell me who your crushing on, on the team?" He asked. I bit my lip and shook my head looking in his brown eyes. He brought his forehead to mine and made pouty lips.

"Please" he begged.

"Nope" I said and he sighed.

"I will tell you mine" he said. I crossed my arms and have him a daring look.

"It's you" he whispered still looking in my eyes as our foreheads were still pressed together.

"Well I would hope so because I am the only girl" I said and he laughed.

"Now tell me yours" he said.

"It's you"