Good Night - Rohit | Ishan | Shubman

GT vs MI | 24th March 2024

Rohit heard the knock on his door like he had been expecting for a while now. He had been observing how Ishan was all smiling during the post match things which usually was a sign for all the facades to come crashing down once he was alone. The last time that had happened, Rohit made Ishan promise that he'd talk to someone the next time.

"Hey Ishu.. Come in and sit down first." He slowly opened the door and made him sit on the bed.

"What happened, Ishu? Why aren't you asleep yet?"

"I couldn't fall asleep." Ishan murmured.

"Then why are you here instead of trying to sleep?" Rohit asked him though he knew exactly why Ishan was here but that boy needed to voice out his feelings.

"Nothing, I just wanted to sleep with you tonight, Bhaiya."

"I don't have a problem with that but look at me," Rohit said, as he turned Ishan to look at him, "What's wrong, Ishu?"

"I- I just don't feel that well.." Ishan sighed. Ishan always had a problem with asking for help or comfort. He knew how to offer and give help but never learnt how to ask and accept the same. Years of giving, and giving.

"Ishu.. talk to me, please?" He added, "I don't like seeing you like this." Rohit was never that good with offering comfort especially when he had to put it into words but he understood that words always helped Ishan. Years of spending that time with him, years of learning to be the Captain —no, years of learning to be Rohit Bhaiya taught him a lot about Ishan and every single one of his kids and their little quirks. It came naturally to him now.

"Bhaiya, I cost us the match, didn't I?" Ishan asked Rohit with eyes now full of tears. How sensitive this boy was and how strong he pretends to be.

"No, you did not."

"I literally got out on a zero. And I'm an opener." Ishan said a bit loudly out of frustration.

"But that's okay, kiddo. We all have bad days and you can come back stronger in the next game." Rohit tried to pacify Ishan as he rubbed his back.

"But it is because of me that we lost." Ishan said, furiously wiping away his tears. Why was he always trying to hide his own pain?

"If we had won, would you say that it was because of you?"

"No, but-" Ishan tried to reason.

"Exactly. If you're going to take the blame or credit, then do it for both." Rohit pointed out.

"We could've added some more runs to the board if I had played more carefully." Ishan whined.

"And if I didn't get out in my 40's like always too. So then it's my fault too." He shrugged.

"It's not."

"Again, exactly."

"But have you seen all the things people are saying about me?" Ishan said, pointing towards his phone.

"Woh log aake tera game khelenge kya? Fir kyun unka bakwaas sun raha ho?" (Are those people going to come and play your game? Why are you listening to their nonsense?)

"Twitter pe dekha hai kya aapne?" (Have you seen Twitter?) Ishan said, opening the app.

"No, I did not, and I don't plan to either. So you too, close the app. Now." Rohit ordered him and Ishan had to listen. No one wanted Rohit Bhaiya mad at them.

"But.." Ishan said, putting his phone away.

"Ishu, aren't you always the one telling Shub not to scroll through Twitter or even Instagram comments for that matter?"