Chapter 9: Queen Lucille - The End of a Reign

As the sun cast its golden glow over the palace, the air was filled with an eerie calmness, a deceptive tranquility that belied the storm brewing beneath the surface. Twelve days had passed since Odette and Mr. Hillock embarked on their journey to the mysterious Land of the Lost, leaving a void in the palace that even the bustling activities of daily life couldn't fill.

The departure of Sir Phill and his family, as well as the Arabian royal family, had left the once vibrant halls feeling emptier, their absence accentuating the weight of uncertainty that hung heavy in the air. Despite the facade of normalcy, a sharp tension lingered, fueled by the unspoken fears and apprehensions that gnawed at the hearts of those left behind.

In the midst of this uneasy atmosphere, Jackson's fondness for Cedrick remained a perplexing puzzle, his seemingly genuine affection overshadowed by lingering doubts and suspicions. Cedrick's presence, though seemingly benign, carried an aura of enigmatic purpose, his every move scrutinized for any hint of ulterior motives.

From the vantage point of the palace balcony, overlooking the sprawling city below, I found a momentary break from the weight of responsibility that rested heavily upon my shoulders. But the tranquility was short-lived, shattered by the piercing screams that tore through the stillness of the afternoon air like a blade slicing through silk.

As the doors to our chamber were violently flung open, the sight that greeted me sent a chill racing down my spine. Cedrick stood before us, a sinister figure cloaked in the crimson hue of betrayal, his hands stained with the blood of palace officials, a gleaming sword held aloft as a grim testament to his evil intent.

In a swift motion, Jackson positioned himself between Cedrick and me, a steadfast guardian shielding me from the looming threat. His voice, tinged with a mixture of disbelief and defiance, rang out against the backdrop of chaos that engulfed us.

"What are you doing?" he demanded, his words echoing with a raw intensity that mirrored the turmoil raging within.

But Cedrick's response was devoid of remorse or hesitation, his lips curled into a sardonic smile as he delivered his ominous news.

"Your reign is over," he declared, each syllable dripping with contempt. "It is time for a new king."