Chapter 2: Louis - Shadows of Opportunity

The dusty streets of Kilon, the Capitol of Oryn, stretched before me, a dramatic contrast to the promised whisper of wealth and opportunity.

I was born into the fading kingdom of Pelionia, my family's move to Oryn was fueled by the desperate hope of a better life, yet that dream continues to remain distant in the face of our harsh reality.

As I trudged through the narrow walls of our cramped two-bedroom flat, the weight of responsibility pressed heavily upon my shoulders. With my father's passing, I became the man of the house, working hard everyday to provide for my younger sister, Eliana and my mother.

Everyday is a battle, juggling multiple jobs to put food on the table and keep a roof over our heads.

"Eliana?" My voice echoed through the dimly lit kitchen, our lack of candles is very much an issue.  The weariness evident in my tone as I set down the small amount of mail I collected.

Eliana emerged from the dining room, her face turned into a smile. With eager anticipation, she sifted through the envelops, her excitement growing as she searched for any glimpse of the world beyond our flat.

"Any news?" I asked, my gaze on her hopeful expression.

Her fingers danced across the paper until they found a worn magazine, its glossy pages offering an escape into the realm of the Royal Family. Eliana's fascination with the monarchy, particularly Princess Odette, the crown princess, was a source of both amusement and concern for me. Her adoration for their elegant lifestyle seemed to highlight the gaping wealth between our worlds, a divide I struggled to bridge.

As Eliana delved into the magazines, lost in the world of the royal family, my thoughts drifted to the figures who ruled over Oryn. Though I wish no ill will towards the royal family, their extravagant displays of wealth served as a constant reminder of the wealth gap between classes.

I dug through what little mail we had, and hesitantly retrieved the small, pristine envelope from the mail pile, its perfection made a stark contrast to the worn surroundings of our home. The royal family crest printed upon it declared its sender - the royal castle itself. With trembling hands, I carefully tore it open, revealing the carefully written contents within.

"Dear Louis Hillock," the letter began, its words a call to action that echoed through the dimly lit room. "The Oryn Royal Army is accepting draft applications for our military." My heart quickened at the thought of this opportunity, the weight of responsibility pressing upon me. This could be the chance to lift my family from our hardships.

Drawing a deep breath, I absorbed the requirements laid out before me. "You must be at least 18 years old and have at least 1 year of sword fighting or archery experience." Perfect, I thought to myself. I just turned 18, 4 months ago and when we lived in Pelionia, I was involved in many archery activities.

With adrenaline pulsing through my veins, I reached for the pen from a cluttered drawer. As I began to fill out the application, each stroke of the pen felt like a pledge, a commitment to a future filled with uncertainly yet brimming with promise.

With each word I wrote upon the page, I couldn't shake the image of my family's hopeful faces from my mind. If this opportunity could offer them even a glimmer of hope, I was prepared to take the challenge, to risk everything in pursuit of a brighter future for them.