46

Jake reached into his leather jacket to produce a small envelope. "Cerulli received a complaint or two about your pet-"

"She's not a pet. She's my-"

"The Right of Blood has been declared. You know what that means, Sykes."

Whatever it was, it didn't sound good and I felt my stomach drop. Oliver reached for me as he took a step back. He didn't look as upset as Andy. Andy looked genuinely concerned. Oliver on the other hand looked like he was on the verge of turning again. His hair became unrealistically disheveled as his hands grew almost claw like nails. Colourless eyes stared at Jake and Andy over a suspiciously pointy-toothed sneer. "No. No, that can't be done!" Oliver barked. "I'm part of the fucking Council. How dare Cerulli do this to me?!"

"Not even the Council is exempt from the Right and you know that", grinned Jake. "The game board is set, Sykes. Deal with it."

"I can and I God damned WILL!" yelled Oliver. "You twats think you're so much better than everyone. You're nothing but traitors. You're sub human. You lack the experience to challenge someone of my stature-"

"How can you call us sub human when you yourself died long before us?" questioned Andy. Oliver bristled dangerously.

"I might not pump blood anymore but I'm not low enough to hunt my own fucking brethren", Oliver hissed. "You. You're the real scum. You continue to fight a never ending battle even after you've become a member of the opposing team. You continue to butcher people who are just. Like. You and yet it still doesn't satisfy you. You're the sick ones-"

"You're using Thorne as a human shield", Andy stated, taking a daring step closer to Oliver. The Brit quickly drew his hand and smacked Andy so hard across the face that he fell back.

"Don't say that again", Oliver whispered. "And the game board might be set, but I always win, Jake. Don't you dare forget that."

"Game on", Jake retorted. Oliver growled and spat on the stone by the pair of slayers before dragging me through the crowds of people.

"Ol-Oliver", I gasped, trying desperately to keep up with his speed. "What is the Right of Blood?"

He stopped dead in his tracks, causing me to run into his lanky torso. "Thorne", he sighed, haggardly. The sun was already starting to exhaust him and I'm sure being in a state of pre-transformat ion didn't help. "Some things aren't best discussed in the daylight. We're going to go shopping and we're going to have fun dammit. When we get home, I'll...I'll try explaining everything to you."