Chapter 16 - Studying Ancient Texts for Canals, Bettering Governance

Having captured Alexandria and Cairo, the major cities of Egypt, we have effectively taken control of the region. In essence, Egypt can now be seen as a colony of France.

Of course, with this action, we may have made enemies of the Ottoman Turks, the rightful rulers, but considering the difference in equipment and other factors, we should not fear defeat.

I sought reconciliation with the Islamic elders of Cairo.

"I, unlike the Mamluks, hold respect for God, the prophets, and the Quran. It is us who have defeated the fanatics of the Knights of Malta, who think God desires war against Muslims. We seek coexistence."

"Can we believe that?"

"I want you to believe it."

I aimed to promote the development of Egypt by strengthening internal affairs in Cairo. I dismantled the feudal system and privileges of the Mamluks, as I did with knights and nobles, built Western-style hospitals, established administrative organizations similar to those on Malta, reformed taxation, and conducted a census. Respecting Islamic law, I also implemented educational reforms by developing irrigation channels for agricultural promotion and constructing elementary and middle schools. Since we have complete control over the Mediterranean, there are likely few British agents, although it would be naïve to think there are none.

In fact, the Revolutionary Wars and the Napoleonic Wars were not only European conflicts but also wars among European powers for colonies worldwide. However, the original Napoleon's expertise was limited to continental warfare, and thus, despite his previous colonial holdings, most were lost. But due to my naval prowess and victory over Britain, the current situation sees Britain on a path to decline. Like Portugal, Spain, and the Netherlands in the past, the loss of maritime power has hindered trade and domination.

It seemed the suppression of the Irish rebellion was still not going smoothly.

"With this, our France seems poised to secure New France in North America, French Louisiana, the islands of the West Indies, and French Guiana in South America. As for India and Southeast Asia, it's still uncertain..."

Unfortunately, the French East India Company, which operated in India, was recently liquidated.

And for this expedition, my brothers Joseph and Louis are accompanying me.

"By the way, Louis, how is the health of our troops?"

"Overall, there are no issues, brother."

"Brother, as quartermaster, are there any problems with this expedition?"

"Oh, no, everything is fine, Napoleon. There have been no troubles regarding finances or supplies."

Of course, both of them are staff officers in logistics, but there is no doubt they would never betray me, so I can find reassurance in that aspect. They were considered incompetent as politicians, but in terms of character, both of them were sincere.

This expedition to Egypt was crucial for both Britain and France, having lost significant colonial holdings in North America due to American independence. It was also a significant battle for control over India and its trade routes.

Originally, the main fleet at Aboukir Bay would have been annihilated by the attack of the British fleet under Nelson, severing communication with mainland France and leaving the expeditionary force isolated in Egypt. However, Nelson is no longer a threat, and Hood is currently a prisoner, with no British fleet at Gibraltar.

And then, Tipu Sultan, the ruler of the Kingdom of Mysore known as the Tiger of Mysore, arrived from India to meet me in Egypt.

"Hero of France, we need your support to drive the British out of India," he spoke fluently in French.

He was a highly cultured man proficient in multiple languages, able to speak Persian, Arabic, English, and French besides various Indian languages. He commanded a force composed of infantry, artillery, and light cavalry, and he fought the British on equal terms, employing steel rocket weapons to trouble the British army.

"Very well, I understand. However, please wait until Egypt stabilizes."

"I understand, please assist us as soon as possible."

After we promised to support Tipu Sultan, he returned to India.

"Now, shall we instruct archaeologists to examine ancient records to locate the sites of ancient canals?"

In this era, there is great interest in the advanced cultures and histories of ancient Turkey and Egypt, so many scholars have come together. It was at this time that the Rosetta Stone was discovered in the village of Rosetta, an ancient monument made of black basalt. Immediately, I showed it to specialized oriental scholars from the academic research team.

"Hmm, the bottom seems to be Greek letters. The top appears to be ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs."

"This could be a clue for deciphering hieroglyphs. Please proceed with the decoding as quickly as possible."

"Yes, sir."

The scholars were gleaming with excitement. The knowledge of hieroglyphs had long been lost even to the Egyptians.

In reality, the Rosetta Stone was supposed to have three types of inscriptions: hieroglyphs, Demotic, and Greek scripts.

In the meantime, I had located the traces of ancient canals from the time of ancient Egypt. During the flooding season of the Nile, water used to flow into the remains of the canals as well.

"Commander, I would like to take charge of the investigation and excavation of the canals."

Engineer Le Père, who would later become the technical director of the Suez Canal, offered.

"Ah, then I entrust the canal matter to you. Please make regular reports at least once a month."

"Yes, sir."

"When digging, make sure to provide adequate food and wages to the workers."

"Yes, sir."

It seemed that the canal used to extend eastward from the location where the ancient city of Bubastis was, then entered Lake Timsah, flowed into the Great Bitter Lake, and then headed south to Suez. Normally, we would dig straight north, but since it would take time to dig a new canal, let's excavate and reuse the ancient remains for now. Once the canal is completed, we should be able to launch expeditions to India by ship.