Chapter 12 - Battle of Gibraltar, Napoleon vs Hood

Now, since we have conquered the islands of the Mediterranean and the southern part of the Italian peninsula, places like Sardinia, Sicily, Naples, and Malta, which have been causing trouble for France by using ships, have fallen silent. The control of the Mediterranean Sea has almost become ours, the French.

However, the problem arises with Gibraltar.

Gibraltar is a British overseas territory located on a small peninsula protruding from the southeastern tip of the Iberian Peninsula, serving as the home port of the British Mediterranean Fleet and a strategic stronghold controlling the entrance to the Atlantic Ocean from the Mediterranean. The Strait of Gibraltar is a narrow passage separating the continents of Europe and Africa, allowing one to see each other's landmass with the naked eye. So, if the French Mediterranean Fleet attempted to exit to the Atlantic, it would be intercepted by the British fleet stationed there, and even trade ships could be attacked during hostilities. Of course, when it comes to exiling political prisoners overseas, they don't often intervene.

When I headed to Ireland last time, there was no intercept fleet stationed because Nelson's fleet had been annihilated in Toulon. But now, Hood's Mediterranean Fleet has already been dispatched to Gibraltar.

Gibraltar, which was previously under Spanish rule, became a British overseas territory on April 11, 1713. Although the War of the Spanish Succession ended with the Treaty of Utrecht, the treaty made Gibraltar a British possession.

Our fleet set sail from Toulon, loaded with preserved food, drinking water, and ammunition to conquer Gibraltar.

"First, we'll besiege the peninsula and cut off the supply of food and drinking water. If the British fleet comes out, we'll crush them."

"Yes, sir."

There are no natural springs, rivers, or farmland on the Gibraltar peninsula, and it often doesn't rain at all during the summer months from June to September. In other words, if the stored food and drinking water run out, it would be difficult to secure them independently.

It's not a good idea to launch a direct assault.

By using large ships-of-the-line as bases and capturing supply ships with new frigates and corvettes, we could block the enemy's supplies, making it difficult for British troops to stay long.

"Is the enemy's Mediterranean Fleet Commander Alexander Hood?"

"Yes, it seems he was dispatched from the Channel Fleet."

Alexander Hood is the brother of Samuel Hood, who distinguished himself in the Mediterranean during the French Revolutionary Wars, repeatedly dealing heavy blows to the French Navy in sea battles.

"Officers and sailors of our fleet, you will deliver the most certain and painful blow to Britain. And you will be the ones to deliver the fatal blow to Britain. I expect the utmost effort from all of you!"

"Woooh!"

As usual, I organized the fleet into a battle formation with ships-of-the-line forming a single column in line ahead, interspersed with frigates and corvettes equipped with new guns.

"Enemy ships sighted!"

A stir spread throughout the ship at the observer's report. This time, the enemy has also formed a battle line and is advancing straight towards us, facing us.

"All hands, battle stations! Prepare to open fire!"

And this time, the British, who have long been focusing on building ships-of-the-line, have also deployed frigates.

"The enemy is within range!"

"Commence firing!"

The British frigates and our new frigates started exchanging artillery fire. It seemed the British had also succeeded in developing rifled guns, as their cannonballs were landing on the sea surface here and there.

However, here's where the difference in shipbuilding capabilities of wooden ships shows. The British frigates have either 28 or 36 guns. However, our new frigates have 44 guns, a significant firepower advantage.

"Enemy frigate sunk!"

"Our frigate has been hit, minor damage!"

"Bring the damaged ships back. We'll crush them starting from the front of the enemy's line!"

"Aye, sir!"

As a result, it can be said that we emerged victorious.

While we sunk two enemy frigates and captured six ships-of-the-line, we only had one frigate rendered inoperable, needing to be towed back due to the impossibility of returning. Having defeated Hood's fleet this way, I sent the damaged and captured ships to Toulon on our new frigates while enforcing the blockade of Gibraltar.

"Commander, a white flag has been raised from the enemy base."

"Hmm, have they finally decided to surrender?"

Well, the shortage of drinking water must be severe. You can endure not eating for a while, but thirst is hard to bear for long.

John Jervis, Earl of St Vincent, the British Commander-in-Chief of the Mediterranean, surrendered to us. As a result, the ships-of-the-line and frigates that took refuge in Gibraltar also came under our fleet's command. By providing food and water to the surrendered British troops, we demonstrated our respect for human life. Well, the captured commanders will be sent to Paris, while the other sailors will be sent to Toulon. And Gibraltar will be returned to Spain, and France will receive Ceuta on the African side from Spain.

We'll have to stay for a while to further militarize Ceuta as a military base.