CHAPTER 4 ~ NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER

"You mean you dont know?"

Is there something I missed..?

I wait for us to be alone together and then reopen the conversation with Nurse Lisa.

"Mr Win's wife passed away 20 years ago..."

"So that woman with him was....?"

"He's the woman he fell in love with after his wife's death."

So that's who she is.

"Once he found out that he was sick, his wish was to spend his final days with her but his family wouldnt allow it. They must've been worried about their inheritance, should he choose to remarry."

"How awful..,"I said in surprise.

"The daughter and son wanted to lock him up in the hospital and they even told us not to let anyone in his room who's not a family. It was like they were holding him captive."

That's terrible...

"So Dr Alan knew this...?"

Nurse Lisa nodded. "Yes, he respected Mr Win's wished and to make them come true. He released Mr Win against the family's objections. I heard that the Director at first resisted saying that we cant let such an important patient slip thru our fingers like that. But then, remember? It was when Pit Babe showed up here..."

So that's how it was.......

How could I have missed so much?

I didnt understand the feelings of Mr Win or those of Dr Alan.

Back in the office......

"Dr Alan..."

"What is it?"

"Mr Win was........"

"That again, "he sounded easperated.

"No...Nurse Lisa told me everything."

"...."

"I was wrong. I am sorry. I didnt know and said horrible things..."

"It doesnt matter."

"It does!" I said in mild anger. "Because you didnt explain the situation to me, I misunderstood your actions."

"I dont care what others think..."

"But I'm your colleague. You should tell me these things. We need to communicate a little more..."

"Between preventing misunderstandings and helping patients, its obvious which is more important."

I stared at him.

"You said it yourself.. You regretted that you couldnt save Ms Vill Wanarot..."

"Yeah."

"Even if you cant save a life, there's always something else that you can save...."

Something else I can save.....

"Understanding that is also our job."

""

"I wont be distracted by nonsence."

To Alan, commmunication between doctors is nonsence.

I understand the importance of what he's saying about patients but why does he isolate himself like that....

I'm about to make my rounds, when the person who passed in front of me is no other that Ms Vill Waranot's son.

I dont really want to talk to him but.....I see his swollen eyes with tears and my heart aches.