Chapter Four

I leave my flat, and see in my peripheral the hovering shadow skipping out of the way of my closing door. Pulling it to, I hear the distinct click of the yale lock, then give my jacket pockets a few taps to make sure that the bare necessities are there - meaning my phone, keys and wallet. The jingle I hear and the familiar lumps that I feel dismiss the paranoid thoughts from my mind, then I check my watch. I've got plenty of time, no need to rush, so I begin to make my way to the stairs in a calm and steady pace.

I step out into the early sunshine and my spirits are instantly lifted. What a glorious day to be walking in. The playful, summer breeze strokes across my face and sweeps my hair back off my shoulders. I look up at the sky above and see an array of pastel colours step aside to make way for a rich, sky blue. A deep sigh leaves my chest as I stroll down the road towards the precinct.

That same old shadow, the darkness of my past, carries on trying to pull me away from my peace. It insists on following me, copying my every move and turning every corner with me. How I wish it'll give me time off, just a moment’s break, but it won't. It persists and persists just like he did.

I stop for a second.

I haven't thought of him for a long time.

That boy that wouldn't give up.

We met on a day just like today. A clear, summer morning. A Saturday. Every Saturday, back in the day, countless stalls lined the precinct - stalls selling produce from nearby farms, freshly caught fish, imported spices, and some sold crafts and gifts. I was sauntering along the pathway between the stalls without stopping, heading to a particular shop. When the lipstick's magic faded I usually succeeded in doing so without interruption, but not that morning. That morning, a voice called out to me. Well I didn't know it was calling towards me at first, but I stopped all the same.

"Hey!"

I turned around and saw a handsome young lad looking at me, he stood with his arms folded across his green grocer's apron. His eyes held a twinkle and the twitch that pulled at the corner of his mouth betrayed the cheeky smile that he was clearly trying to hide. "Surely you're not just going to walk by without stopping to take a look? Not on a beautiful day like this."

"I'm in a hurry," I said and started to turn away, but he stopped me again, this time by stepping in front of me.

"You haven't got one minute? On a day like this you'd really benefit from a purchase of good, fresh local produce." He waved his hand in front of his stall that was covered in boxes filled to the brim with fruit and vegetables. The morning sun really brought out their rich colours, making everything on the table look mouth-watering.

I felt him staring as I took in all that he had on offer. I looked along the boxes, my eyes fell upon one that sat right at the front holding countless, shining, red apples.

"Well, I suppose some apples wouldn't hurt," I said, my gaze not leaving the beautiful, red, orbs seated in their wooden crate.

"A great choice!" the lad said with such enthusiasm, he then reached for a paper bag and opened it in one smooth gesture. "How about half a dozen?"

"Sure," I answered.

I watched him count six sizeable apples into the bag, then he held it out to me whilst quoting a very reasonable price. I gave him money and grabbed the bag, but he didn't let go. I looked up into his face, which was smiling down at me. The beautiful twinkle in his warm, amber eyes gave me pause.

They drew me in.

"I'm sorry Miss, you probably hear this a lot, but you have the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen," he said, his smile not faltering.