Chapter nine

In junior year of high school, Maya's prom date got mono the day of the dance

I wasn't supposed to go, since I had an out-of-town meet the next day. Lorraine was already my agent back then, so there was no time for frivolous things such as proms and fun.

Still, when Maya called me, tears in her voice because she didn't want to go without a date—all her friends were going with someone, and she didn't want to be by herself—it was impossible for me not to offer to take her.

I put on the suit I wore for press conferences at international races and picked her up in my truck.

Maya looked gorgeous in a soft pink dress. She'd colored her hair a lighter shade of pink for the occasion, and she was radiating happiness.

Big social gatherings with crowds and music were exactly Maya's idea of a good time. When we got there, we had our picture taken and found a table with her friends.

Of course, I knew them since we'd all gone to the same school most of our lives, but we weren't close. Even so, they welcomed me in, asked questions about my going to the Olympics a month later, and smiled with polite interest when I answered.

Then Maya dragged me onto the dance floor, and the rest of it melted away. It was very PG since we were very platonic friends on school grounds, but there'd been a slow dance or two in there, and I'd felt so happy rocking back and forth with her cheek against my chest.

By the end of the night, my feet were sore, and I knew I'd be in for one hell of a scolding when I got home, but I didn't care. Maya had an amazing evening, and that's what mattered. She always came through for me when I needed her.

I'd driven her back home and parked my car outside her house. Sitting in the dark, we'd looked at each other. Her hair was in wild, soft pink tangles, her eyes shining, and that dress. I knew she was beautiful, yet I'd never acknowledged just how beautiful I found her. And for the first time ever, I wanted to kiss Maya Bakari.

On impulse, I cupped her cheek, which was warm to the touch, and then I leaned forward. Maya did the same, a grin pulling at her lips, and we hovered there, a sliver of distance between us, anticipation heavy in the air.

I'd kissed three other girls before this, so I believed I knew what I was doing. But I really didn't want to mess it up, so I waited, smoothing my hand down her neck while I collected my courage. Her eyes fluttered shut.

And then I realized what I was doing. This was Maya, the one person I could always count on, and I was about to risk everything we had for a kiss.

I pulled back before I even finished the thought, and Maya's eyes jerked open. Whatever she saw in my face, humiliation washed over hers, and before I could say a word, she'd opened the door and dashed towards her house.

I watched her go, trying to get my heartbeat back under control and simultaneously convincing myself not to bang my head against the steering wheel.

Then, once we were safe inside, I turned the car back on and drove home.