Chapter six

It takes me almost two weeks to convince Zeke to introduce me to his friends

If I didn't know any better, I would think he was ashamed of me, but Zeke has never shied away from claiming his people. He loves loudly and unabashed.

We meet them at a small bar, which, according to Zeke, has sentimental value to them. When we enter the door, I immediately spot a group of people sitting at a booth towards the back. The three guys are clearly athletes—tall and jacked—and ridiculously attractive. Seriously, what is in the water here?

I lean into Zeke's side, lowering my voice as he steers me in their direction with a hand on the small of my back. "You've never told me your friends are hot."

Looking down at me, his sigh blows curls into my face. "May."

I blink innocently. "I'm not the one who hangs out with supermodels."

He shakes his head exasperatedly, though his eyes twinkle with humor. I tear my gaze away and spot the three women accompanying the guys. They're different as night and day, though they, too, must have drunk the beauty elixir.

One of them, a short blonde with black-rimmed glasses, spots us first, jumping to her feet so the arm of the man beside her falls from around her waist. He looks displeased, his handsome features marred by a frown. He has dark eyes and buzz-cut hair. I instantly run through my mental catalog of information on Zeke's teammates to determine if he ever mentions descriptions.

Before I reach a conclusion, though, the blonde woman reaches us, pulling me into a hug. I'm only about an inch taller than her, but she's lithe in a way I've never been. "Hi," she says as she releases me. "I'm Jen. It's so nice to meet you."

Ah, Jen. The social worker who just got engaged to David Davis. That must be the Black man rising to follow his fiancé. A soft smile has replaced his previous scowl. Zeke has told me all about them, and I instantly feel comfortable, like they're my old friends.

"You too. I'm Maya," I say to Jen before introducing myself to David next as he stops behind his fiancé.

After that, the rest of the party comes up to us, too, rattling off so many names I would be hard-pressed to remember them if I didn't have a cheat code from monthly phone calls with Zeke for the past two years.

There's Jayden Sennels, a good-looking man who seems incapable of not touching the purple-haired woman beside him; Sophie, the only one of the bunch that appears the slightest bit hesitant about welcoming me with open arms.

To finish it off, there's Archer Salisbury, introduced as Saltz, and Kimmy Byers - they're both younger and share the same kind of humorous, somewhat chaotic energy.

"It's about time Mitch brought you along. We were beginning to think he'd hoard you like a dog with his favorite toy," Saltz says, jumping out of the way when Zeke reaches around my back to hit him upside the head.