Chapter 3

Another night has ended and Fierce was able to peacefully sleep without being disturbed by Twinkle in his dreams. And the new bedding is softer than ever. Feather was already awake, crouching slowly and steady to his mentor, then he pounced at him. Thunder already saw him coming, so he blocked the attack with his claws. Why in the Cave-Guard- and Prey Hunter's den? I need to sleep. Ugh. Fierce thought to himself. He went outside the camp for a walk in the sunlight, but it wasn't sunlight. They were phoenixes! A bunch of them. I must alert my tribe! ''E- Em- Ember? The- Uh... Phoenixes... Are in our territory! A bunch of them!'' Ember woke up. ''Get the Cave-Guards and Prey Hunters. I will make sure that Roar and the chicks are okay.'' Fierce ran up to his den and told his denmates about the phoenixes. ''There are phoenixes in our territory! Come on, let's go!'' They all followed Fierce. Feather stopped Thunder. ''Can I come too? He asked.'' Thunder didn't want him to get injured. ''No, you can't. You're still too weak.'' Thunder caught up with Fierce and the rest. I will proof everyone wrong! He thought. He hid behind the trees as his mentor and the leader were talking about the situation. What are those? Are they the phoenixes they were talking about? He walked slowly to them. ''Do you smell something, Flicker?'' The other Prey Hunter asked. ''Yes... I think I smell a griffin To-Be.'' Shadow doubted it. ''Are you sure about that? I don't smell anything, but prey and wet grass.'' The young griffin crouched and flattened his ears, so the big phoenixes couldn't see him. ''Never mind, let's just follow our leader. I wonder where we're going. We are in the griffins' territory, right?'' As the phoenixes turned their backs, Feather thought it would be a good idea to attack the phoenixes from behind for his tribe. He clawed the Flicker's back and he chirped in pain. ''What was that?'' Feather thought he was brave and helping his tribe. ''Dumb phoenix! Get out of our territory!'' The young griffin yelled. A moment later, the other phoenixes turned around to see what's happening. Flicker breathed fire at Feather. He dodged it, but his back legs didn't. He fell to the ground, his legs paralyzed. ''He won't be able to do anything now. Let's continue our patrol.'' Flicker told the other phoenixes as they walked away from him. He was laying on the burned grass, weak and injured. Ember was worried about her son, so she sent Fierce to look for him in the camp. He was not his mentor, so Fierce thought that it was weird to send a Cave-Guard to see Feather. Even sending Step would make more sense. I could look for Twinkle and talk to her for a while. I'm sure that Feather is alright. He has his friends with him. He thought, but he was wrong. As Feather was laying unconsciously on the burned bloody grass, Fierce was going through the bush where the flower field was. He was looking around for Twinkle, but before he knew it, Twinkle appeared behind him again. As if she could sense his every move. ''Wh- What- Twinkle! Why do you- Never mind... I need to talk to you.'' Twinkle was curious about what he had to say, but she already knows everything ''We have to talk about our friendship,'' He continued. ''We both could be exiled, lose our tribes' trust and die alone. Do you want that?'' Twinkle was running around like a chick chasing their tail. ''Oh, come on, Fierce! Why can't we just have some fun?''

''Listen, I don't have much time left before my leader starts worrying about me, Twinkle. Do you want to be exiled or not? I would have told Ember you were here the whole time, but I didn't, because I thought you would do no harm. Were you a spy for your tribe?'' Twinkle looked worried. Not wanting to lie to her only friend. ''Well, I... I was, but I already got kicked out of my tribe...'' she started shedding tears ''I- I- Because of me... They sent a patrol to cause war between our tribes!'' Without another word, Fierce walked away from her and started running back to his tribe. ''E- Ember... Feather is fine in the camp. He just misses Thunder-'' Fierce's sentence broke off, seeing her broken face. ''Feather... He is not 'fine'. Is that is 'fine' to you?'' She pointed at her injured son with her talons. Fierce had no idea that Feather has snuck out of the camp. ''I... I'm sorry, Ember.'' Ember signed with her tail for him to take Feather back to the camp to see Roar. ''Fierce... This is not acceptable.'' She turned her back and walked towards her tribe-mates to help them drive out the phoenixes.