76:

Astera:

Wrecker had already been subdued, the large clone on his knees with his hands cuffed in front of him and a ring of commandos surrounding him. Their blasters were already pointing at the doorway we slowly advanced from, like they'd been waiting for us. And they probably had been, as that doctor we'd been after  - Hemlock - casually strolled into the centre of the circle as soon as we appeared, a case of credits in hand.

A commando shifted forward and both of us reacted, muscles tensing and guns jerking towards the offending clone trooper. The result was every other commando brandishing their own blasters more insistently, reminding us that we were far outnumbered here.

"That's not very strategic." Hemlock was completely unruffled, maintaining his cool composure despite the threat hovering only metres away from him. "For either of you. You don't need to use your enhanced senses or the Force to know you're outnumbered here."

So he did know. It was too optimistic to believe that he hadn't found out, but some small part of me had still stubbornly hoped my actions on Eriadu had gone unnoticed. But of course it hadn't been the case.

Our only answer was to tighten grips on blasters, all three barrels shifting towards the same target. Him.

His smug expression only grew more prominent, and he passed the case of credits to his other hand, holding it out towards the bar with an almost superior look of triumph. "The Empire thanks you for your assistance."

My blood turned to ice in my veins when Cid drifted into view, shoulders hunched and completely avoiding our gazes. So that was how they knew we were here. She must have tipped them off when we'd arrived. Cid had always been good at making threats, but until now, I'd never actually believed she'd make good on them. We'd been stupid to trust her.

Hunter was good at controlling his expressions, but I could still feel him tense beside me, his features slackening in shock almost imperceptibly out of the corner of my eye. It was only for a second, his expression hardening again and his fingers tightening around his guns. I could feel my own face twist, no doubt into an expression that mirrored his.

"Our business is done. Leave." Despite the clear dismissal, Cid hesitated, mouth opening like she wanted to say something to us, before thinking better of it and trudging off, her head hanging low. I watched her go, scowling hard, until another commando's twitch had me jerking my attention back to the threat in front of us.

"Please, consider your next move very carefully," Hemlock told us, his voice still cool and flat. "I would hate for this to end poorly for all of you." He indicated Wrecker on his knees behind him, the fingers on his right hand probing at the left, covered by a glove. Almost like it was causing him discomfort.

"Here is how this is going to go," he continued. "You will lower your weapons and hand over Omega. And I will allow you to keep breathing."

"Omega's not going anywhere with you," Hunter snarled before I could reply in kind. He was still infuriatingly unfazed by our hostility, the smallest of superior smirks starting to pull at the corners of his mouth.

"Oh. Well, who knew clones are so paternal?" His gaze flickered to me momentarily, the look in his eyes almost smugly disparaging. "Or Jedi so attached? Fascinating."

I scowled at him, fighting the urge to fire back a snappish retort. He didn't deserve the satisfaction.

"I was saddened to learn of your friend's demise," Hemlock pressed on when there was no other response from either of us. "What was his name?" A momentary pause, one meant to intensify the impact it would have on us. "Ah, yes. Tech."