Normality (4)

When Sans finally woke up, instead of his usual grogginess, he felt a sense of adrenaline. It was screaming at him.

You have work to do.

And yet, he didn't get up. From his bed, he gazed out at the surface world through a window.

He was on the surface.

The dream of every monster was to see the sun. And he was lucky enough to be one of the few monsters to be outside, taking in the surface air and feeling the sun shine down onto him.

today, im taking it slow.

He knew what Frisk said. Something about danger, lack of time...whatever. He wasn't the one with the power to go back, so he wasn't going to deal with it, honestly.

"Sans! Wa- YOU'RE AWAKE?" Papyrus asked in shock. His jaw was wide agape, further confirming his emotions. Papyrus noticed Sans's expression, one of deep thought. Sans had barely moved upon Papyrus's entrance.

Papyrus followed Sans's gaze into the window.

"It is beautiful, isn't it?" Papyrus asked in a tone barely recognisable as his voice.

"yeah...yeah it is" Sans responded in a relaxed manner.

***

Following the previous hectic day, the monsters all decided unanimously to take this one slow. To live for a bit, on the surface. Safe and free.

Despite the continuing nagging in his head, Sans was happy to relax. To enjoy life with the people he called his friends.

"So, Asgore. We can't just stay here." Undyne complained to Asgore while the group all were taking a walk through the forest. The mayor gave them a perimeter to stay confined in, to avoid being swarmed by curious humans.

Sans didn't expect this kind of attitude from Undyne. All the time he's known her, he's known her as a fearless warrior with a hunger for the surface. And yet, now she's on the surface, one of the lucky few, she isn't happy? She's restless for more. I guess that's determination for you.

"Undyne, you know the circumstances. As much as I would love to allow you, and all the monsters to roam free, we can't exactly do that." Asgore explained one again. He's said that countless times, all to the same person.
"We would be smart to just listen to the mayor."

The mayor. Sans didn't trust him. Why?

Because he knew nothing about him. What he looked like, what he sounded like, his name, where to contact him. Nothing.

And yet Asgore had met him once, and since then had total blind faith in him.

"undyne, calm ya gills. let's enjoy life for what is it." Sans spoke up with his eyes closed. He could see nothing, but the sound of his shoes making contact with the leaves below him was...calming.

It sounds better when there isn't a fish screaming over it.

From then on, Sans wished he could say it was silent, but Papyrus was just too curious.

"Sans!!!! What's that triangle thing?" Papyrus pointed at something.

"Oh! T-thats a p-powerline!" Alphys answered with quite a lot of enthusiasm. "It t-transmits electrical signals to the wiring in buildings to power them!" Alphys finished her explanation. She learned that from one of the many random books that fell into the dump.

Papyrus nodded and grinned throughout her entire explanation.

"10 gold says you'll forget that by tommorow." Sans piped up, with his grin equally as big as Papyrus's.