Recollection (2)

So many thoughts were stabbing at Sans's mind. Theories. What had just happened?

He could remember...a different time. Somehow, someway, touching the machine had allowed him to regain memory of something that hadn't happened yet. A timeline that hadn't happened yet. A reset.

The machine showed a spike in activity, usage of determination.

Sans noticed something. His pen fell to the floor. He inspected the monitor closely.

"The spike..."

It happened in the exact same moment he had touched the machine. The exact moment he had made contact with the VOID.

It was obvious now, through sheer luck he was touching the VOID machine in the exact moment Frisk used their powers.

In that moment, he was detached. Detached from space and time, to the point where activity in space and time didn't affect him.

Presumably, in timeline 727, he continued as normal. Until a reset...

728

Here he was, with newfound knowledge.

Knowledge to make a difference.

This had to stay a secret.

***

"But Mrs Toriel! Surely the smartest plan would be to make a friendly first impression!" Papyrus said in protest to Toriels plans.
"We are nothing but a myth to mankind, Papyrus. We have to take things slow, okay?" Toriel responded, while staring towards the city of Ebbot.

Compared to monsterkinds cosy and rather small towns spread across the various areas of the underground, the vast infrastructure and towering skyscrapers normalised in the modern day were a sight to see for the monsters.

Where monsters developed in magic and science, humans thrived elsewhere.

"Alright, I'm ready." Asgore stated with a tone that screamed authority. He stepped forward through the small group of monsters, ignoring Undyne muttering a very not-subtle "finally".
As the King was about to stride forth towards the city, Papyrus sprinted infront of him to stop him.

"WAIT!"
"Ugh, what now Papyrus?" Undyne quickly shouted in annoyance.
Papyrus took one last glance at the group before quietly asking,
"Where's Sans?"

"hm? what, are you mocking my height or something?" Sans grinned, just a little bit more than usual. "im right here, paps"
He took his place beside his brother. No one questioned how he appeared seemingly out of thin air.

"Alright, are we ready to move?"

***

Humans were quick to answer with violence, especially when dealing with the unknown. And monsters that were merely myths for centuries randomly appearing in a small, rural city? That caused worldwide disruption.

People called for action. Are they a threat? Strong? Weak? Kind...or maybe here for war?

Question thrown everywhere.

Ebbot wasn't exactly equipped for this sort of worldwide coverage. World leaders flocked from their places to try and catch a glimpse of these "monsters". So, the mayor decided to hide them away in abandoned cabins just to the left of Mt Ebbot.

The cabins were part of an old resort a long time ago. But after the rumours of the mountain making children dissapear became the talk of the town, no one really came to the cabins anymore. So they were abandoned.

Cabins... Sans thought to himself.
Exactly how I remember it.

Cabin life wasn't exactly how the monsters expected the surface to be. However, it worked. The sun was shining down on them. Stars flickered at night and it was beautiful. So, it was accepted. After all, they were on the surface and were promised true freedom by the mayor eventually.