𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐

With his second work call finished, Theo steps out of the car and retrieves his bags from the back. The sound of laughter and chatter reaches his ears from the back of the house, where everyone is gathered around a table beside the glistening pool. The flickering candlelight casts a soft glow over their faces as they sit down for dinner. Theo pauses at the doorway, his gaze drawn to a pair of familiar hazel eyes.

Calista looks up at him, recognizing him as the man from the airport. A small smile plays on her lips as everyone else stands up to greet him, Tim and Lucy making their way to him first. Calista shifts uncomfortably as she watches Lucy throw herself into his arms, planting a kiss on his cheek.

"Theo! You're finally here!" Lucy exclaims excitedly before stepping aside for Tim and the other groomsman, Charles, to welcome him.

As it becomes Calista's turn to be introduced, Anna motions for her to come forward. Theo smirks, looking at Calista with amusement in his eyes before Anna can even say her name. "Goldfish," he remarks playfully, causing Calista to blush deeply.

"That's right," she responds, holding out her hand for him to take. He brings it to his lips and presses a gentle kiss onto the back of her hand. "I'm Calista...but most people call me Callie."

"Calista," Theo repeats, fully aware of the curious gazes fixed upon them. "In Greek, Calista means 'the most beautiful'."

"Now that everyone's here, we can finally start dinner," Greg, Tim's father, announces cheerfully, breaking the tension between Theo and Calista. They all turn back to the table, where Lucy grins and motions to an empty chair next to her for Theo. But instead, he chooses the seat beside Calista, causing Lucy to let out a scoff that Theo pretends not to notice.

Calista nervously sipped her wine and turned towards Theo with an inquisitive look in her eyes. "So you were already at the airport when I arrived... what took you so long to get here?" she asked, trying to keep her composure as he laughed.

Theo shrugged sheepishly, taking a sip from his glass. "I'm a bit of a workaholic, couldn't seem to put my phone down," he admitted with a chuckle.

Calista shifted in her seat, feeling his gaze on her before quickly turning away, catching Lucy's curious gaze from across the table. "We might need to put your phone in a lock box for the week," Tim joked, causing everyone to erupt into laughter.

"Perhaps that's not a bad idea," Theo replied with a smile, turning his attention back to his food and Calista. "So, how do you know the couple?"

A warm smile spread across Calista's face as she thought back to her childhood memories. "Anna and I have been friends since we were five years old," she explained, feeling a thrill run through her at the gentle brush of Theo's thigh against hers under the table.

Leaning closer to her, Theo lowered his voice so only she could hear. A shiver ran down Calista's spine as his warm breath tickled her neck. "Did Lucy push her way into being the Maid of Honor? You don't have to answer. I'm sure I already know the answer..."

Calista giggled softly, biting her lip as she looked up at him and caught his playful wink.

Lucy cleared her throat, drawing the attention of the room to herself. A hush fell over the crowd as she stood up in front of everyone, a glass raised in her hand for a toast. The soft glow of candlelight danced across her face as she spoke. "I just wanted to say how thrilled I am about this week. Anna, we are beyond excited to have you join our family. I cannot wait to call you my sister and form a bond that will last a lifetime. I have no doubts that we'll be the closest friends." Calista shifted in her seat, feeling a twinge of discomfort at the veiled jab in Lucy's words, but she pushed it aside. "I'm so glad you made it, Theo. There was a time, I thought this would be our wedding," she joked as Theo cleared his throat, smiling awkwardly at her as he nodded, avoiding her gaze.

Tim reached out and grabbed Lucy's arm, a look of gratitude on Theo's face at the distraction. Standing tall beside her, Tim raised his glass of rich red wine towards the group gathered before them. The warm glow of the setting sun cast a golden light over the scene, highlighting the joyous expressions on each person's face.

"Thank you, Luce," Tim began, his voice filled with slight annoyance. "I speak for both Anna and myself when I say that we are so fortunate to have such wonderful friends and family to celebrate this special time with." As he spoke, everyone in the group lifted their own glasses in unison. "Aspro pato," Tim declared, taking a sip from his glass.

Calista glanced around the group, slightly bewildered but eager to join in. Following suit, she took a small sip from her glass as well. Beside her, Theo offered a gentle explanation. "It means 'bottoms up'," he whispered with a smile.

Calista couldn't help but return his smile gratefully. "I don't know any Greek," she admitted.

"Looks like you should stick with me then," Theo replied teasingly, winking at her and causing her cheeks to flush a deep maroon.

***

Calista let out a long, tired sigh and took one final sip from her glass of wine. She wasn't sure how many glasses she had already finished, only that she was starting to feel its effects. She brought her hand up to her mouth to stifle a yawn, but it escaped as a soft giggle instead. Theo turned to her with a small smirk, his eyes twinkling with amusement.

"I think I'm going to call it a night," Calista announced, running her fingers through her slightly disheveled hair. "It's been a long day. And I didn't get much sleep on the plane."

Theo stood up before Calista and pulled out her chair for her. The rest of their friends began to follow suit as well. "Me too," he agreed, offering his arm to Calista.

"Can you show Theo to his room?" Anna asked Calista, already snuggling into Tim's side.

"Of course," Calista replied, feeling a little flustered at being put on the spot.

"Lead the way, darling," Theo said with a charming smile, following Calista into the house. He picked up his bags from where he had left them by the door and trailed behind her, admiring the way her hips swayed in the light blue dress she had changed into after their flight. He cleared his throat and lifted his gaze when she stopped at the top of the stairs, glancing back at him.

Calista led them down the hallway to where their bedrooms stood side by side. She pointed to the room on the left, stopping in front of her own door. "I believe this one is supposed to be yours..." she said, meeting his gaze briefly before looking away.

Theo nodded and turned to face the door behind her. "And that one is yours?" he asked playfully.

Calista couldn't help the blush that crept up her cheeks. "That's right," she confirmed, trying to hide her nerves by running a hand through her long red hair. "Goodnight, Theo."

"Goodnight, Calista," he responded with a charming smile before disappearing into his room and closing the door behind him.

Calista stood in front of her own closed door for a moment, trying to process the events of the evening. Had Theo been flirting with her all night? And if so, why her? With a shake of her head, she entered her room and closed the door behind her.