Something But Pain - Eleven

Mate. Mate. Mate.

The wolf repeats the word to me like I might not have heard her the first time, like I don't feel the spark running through me. It slides up my arm, and into my chest, right alongside that lingering pain, that constant feeling of discomfort. Warm, soft, calming, calling out to nobody but the male before me. The pain doesn't die, but it steps out of the way, letting that comforting warmth stroke my sternum.

"Fuck-" Payne says in surprise, but it doesn't really register what he's saying until his voice softens a moment later.

"Thea," He sounds breathless, although he's inhaling deep, the muscles in his back flexing with every breath in. He even put his hand against the wall for support; but his claws are out, gouging into the wood and leaving thick grooves. For just a second, I feel like I should take a step back, give him space. The wolf doesn't let my feet move.

Thump thump thump. My heartbeat is louder than it's ever been as I wait for him to turn around.

"I'm sorry." I scramble for the right words to say. If I know, then he knows. That fear rises up, gripping my chest. I can almost see the hatred, the anger in his eyes as he turns to face me, the snarling curl of his lip --- I brace myself for the pain that comes next. It's only after his claws descend back into his skin that I finally see his face, and it contains none of that.

What I do see nearly plucks the breath right from my lungs. In that twisting green and brown, fighting with the black, is hope and excitement and overwhelming joy. Like he can't believe that I am standing in front of him. The canines poking at his lips from the inside are hardly noticed.

I'm aware of every inch of him in this space, his body, his heartbeat, his every breath, but especially how his eyes wander me freely while mine do the same to him. Without guilt, without the need to look away, we just take each other in, both of our eyes filled with a new light. Everything makes sense now. Every single thing since the moment I met him.

The atmosphere in the room shifts when he makes the first move towards me, like air itself is stepping aside so that we can be closer. The bond hums, like a string stretched between us, daring us to be together, touch, kiss-

"What are you sorry for, exactly?" I don't have an answer for his question, distracted by all of him so close to me. The smell of cloves and pinewood and sweat fill every breath, along with something else.. desire. I wonder if my own scent is so telling. A blush runs to my face.

His hand comes up, cupping the side of my face. The touch alone is enough to make my knees almost buckle. The pad of his thumb rubs over my cheekbone, so slow down my face, and stops at the edge of my lips. They part slightly, my own body giving him an invitation. It wouldn't take much more than a suggestion from him.

"How is this possible?" His voice is quiet as his eyes go between staring into mine, and staring at my lips. Asking me a question that neither of us possess the answer to. I open my mouth all the way, to tell him I don't know, but the sound of rustling grass causes my head to jerk in the direction of the shed door.

Standing there, three wolves - the two from the kitchen and another. How interesting that not that long ago it was me walking in on them. They're all wide eyed, taking in this scene in front of them. Me practically up against the wall, their future Alpha leaned into me, touching my face so in such an intimate way.

"Leave." It only takes one word from Payne and they scatter. I'm not sure where they're going, but it's away from here, and that's good enough for me.

I've barely breathed, my whole body alight from him being so close, touching me. I feel like I might actually be glowing.

When I get the courage to touch him back, I let my hands start at his shoulders, feeling every muscle, every dip of his body. His form is immaculate. Strong. It's even addicting, the way it feels to have him against me. His thumb draws the line of my lips over and over again. Payne looks like he's fighting a war within himself, against the wolf no doubt.