190. Truth

Juliet

With Louis on Mirach, I didn't want to go home. He was safe to sleep with. I also enjoyed being away from all the drama and on an adventure of sorts. Charlene and I had gone out hunting together for the first time. It was insane to think she was actually what she was and what she would be able to do in the next few years. All I had was "experience," I chuckled to myself. Like that was some superpower.

"Hey, that's new." My hand lifted to touch the neckless Charlene was wearing. "I've never seen you wear it... Is it something special?"

"It's the werewolf emblem."

"Really?" I played with the pink stone fixed around her neck. I tried to remember if I had seen Brylee with it that night.

"Juliet!"

I spun around, hearing the familiar voice, "Dad?!"

"There you are!" He was speaking in his urgent voice. That authoritative tone I knew all too well. "It's time to come home."

I jumped in place and saluted him. "Funny." He smiled a little. "I mean now. Right now!" He stepped past me and stretched out his hand. He gripped the stone around Charlene's neck and yanked it off as gently as possible. Her hand reached for the space it had left. "I'm sorry, Charlene. I'll get this back to you in a jiffy."

"I trust you, Mr. Furrow."

My dad pulled her into a hug and kissed her on the forehead. "You look good, Charlene. Jessy! Now."

Jessy was already following him. "I'll miss you. Bring Sammy soon, okay." Charlene didn't want us to go. My time on Mirach was over. I hugged her quickly. Kubra was already there, pulling her closer and gripping her face in both hands. "I love you. See you soon." He lingered over her lips, and she kissed him back, stretching her arms around his neck. "I think sooner than later. We have a date?" He whispered. Charlene's eyes were watery. She nodded with his lips on hers. She moved her mouth to his ear. Kubra pulled her into his arms and pressed her into his chest as tightly as humanly possible. "I hate this."

"We will come back! Go home so we know where you are, Charlie." I yelled. She lifted a hand in the air and waved at me. Kubra had grabbed my arm by then, pulling me towards the little hill over which my dad and Jessy had disappeared. Louis and my dad were talking in hushed tones, and Louis stretched out his hand to me without looking up. Imani and Yazen came over. They greeted my dad, and Romero stretched out his hand.

"It's nice to meet you all. I'm sorry it has to be this way." My dad said and looked in my direction. "It's Marcus, Julie." I had to know when my father came that it was serious. A coldness settled over me. At some point, our luck would run out. Louis tightened his hold on my hand. "Caleb. Come, we need you. All of you." My father ordered.

"I don't think I can take you that far just yet," Michael said. He kissed me on my forehead with the familiar "bamf" sound of him disappearing into thin air.

We were one big group that had to travel. Carl came running toward us after he and Charlene had shared a few words. We both waved at her. "It's worth it," I yelled, hoping it would reassure her until we came back. She sent me air kisses, and we were gone.

***

I had never seen so many people in my office. Loud voices, trying to boom over the last order, still making its way to another recipient. "We should attack them now!" Chris yelled and slammed his fist on the table. His hand was shaking, and he had to sit down.

"How do you propose we do that?" The English general whirled around.

"Caleb is almost back. We will have no other opportunity!"