43. Benjamin

Carl

It had been an insane week. I still had difficulty wrapping my head around everything that had happened. Chris had arrived. Juliet and Charlene were on the deck chairs talking. They seem to never run out of things to speak about in private. The three men were playing cards. Chris asked out of the blue, "So how is this going to work, Marcus?"

Marcus's face was as stoic as ever, assessing, calculating. For a few moments, a cold gaze landed on an anxious Chris. "I believe in providence. To let things play out... You seem a little bit... controlling, Chris."

"Like you're not? Maybe it's because I've not been alive for two hundred years."

"You haven't? How old are you?"

"Twenty-nine."

Marcus sputtered. "What? When did you manifest for the first time?"

Chris's eye caught mine. We all knew which day it happened.

"A month ago. With Jerry, when he attacked her. It was Chris's first manifestation." I answered for a quiet Chris.

Marcus whistled. "Well, no wonder you are like this. Your head must be a mess. So everything that happened between you and Juliet... Happened in a matter of one night?" All three of us looked at the two girls. "Two pregnant girls in one house? How will we do it?" Marcus asked.

"Carefully..." I said.

They both laughed. I watched Marcus. After spending a little time with him, you quickly got past his dark eyes and that depressed look on his face twenty-four-seven. He was so severe.

"You know Chris... While Juliet had been sleeping. Marcus and I had converted a section of the garage into a gym. Marcus even added a boxing ring. Training and fighting are something Marcus is good at. He spends hours in there every day. He said that Juliet needed proper training." I said, trying to change the topic.

"I think that's a good idea. If you'll be gentle with her being pregnant."

Marcus nodded. "It will be mainly self-defense and water exercises... I'm a little worried about the birth... You being what you are. And we don't know what that means for her."

"Thanks a lot... Now I'm scared for her."

"If she is strong and as fit as possible. She could handle any difficulties that might arise if she needed them.

"Juliet has been lazy since coming to France," I said. "Not at all the exercise, junky she had been in the years of high school I knew her. Maybe with the two of you working together, we can help her."

"What about you, Chris? Have any fighting background?" Marcus asked.

Chris shook his head. Marcus immediately took it upon himself to turn Chris into a fighting machine. Controlling his abilities, his strength, and his manifestations. Chris seemed eager. There was an understanding that occurred at that moment. Consummation rights were forgotten. It was more important for them to protect everyone in the house. "Chris... I'm not here to fight. We should try and get along. We should try and focus on what we can control."

I wondered where I fit in with all of this. When would I have to leave for my own training? If I would even give it all up for these people. And stay.

***

The front doorbell rang. "What else could possibly happen today?" Marcus asked. I got up to go get it. Everyone stared at me because, really, who could it be? When I opened the door, it was a young guy I didn't know. Not much older than me. He gave me his hand and his name. I had hoped he would stay away. We had decided not to tell Charlene that Benjamin had saved her that night. Or that he was a werewolf. It had only been a few days since she learned that everyone there ate people. It wasn't easy for her. She was having a rough time getting used to the idea.