IX. The Old King Is Dead, Long Live The Queen

|| Song reference in the title!!

"AEREA, TELL ME THE TRUTH!"

"Mother, I swear to all the Gods out there," Aerea held her chest that was beating so fast, "I didn't ask to end the marriage pact with Lucerys. I actually like that boy..."

Rhaenys noticed something was off, "what happened?"

Aerea looked at her in alert, "what do you mean?"

"You have been shaking this whole conversation, shaking in a way I've never seen you be like before," she points out, "what happened?" She questioned more sternly this time.

Aerea shook her head, "I... I cannot, I cannot," she wants so badly to tell her mother, but, she already regrets telling Rhaena. Who knows what could happen to her now... 

Rhaenys gently touches her daughter's face who flinches at the contact, "you're terrified, why? I can protect you, Aerea, I promise you that."

Aerea turns away from her mother for the first time and decides not to talk to her, she just crosses her arms and looks downward.

Rhaenys looks down as well but then says, "I'm staying in Kingslanding an extra day," Aerea looks at her at that, "I don't expect you to stay with me, do not worry," she reassures, "I just want to make sure Viserys is alright."

"Maybe..." No, no, no, no, no, no. "I should stay too..."

"My dearest daughter," she kisses her head, "I do not need your protection, you should go to Dragonstone with the others tonight, take Sunset with you, and bond with her more."

Aerea likes that idea way better than staying as she slowly nods, "okay... Okay."

AEREA WALKS WITH RHAENA TO THE SHIP.

Rhaena held her arm close as Aerea appreciated her support.

Sunset sat on her shoulder sitting up and looking around at everyone who wanted to gaze at the baby dragon.

"Are you ready to leave this dreadful city?" Aerea asked Rhaena.

Rhaena smiles and nods, "as ready as you are. And hope to the Gods, we'll never come back."

"Aerea?"

They both turned quickly to the sound of Criston Cole's voice.

Aerea backs up immediately, knowing the only time he shows up is by Aemond's call, but this time is different...

"I wished to see you off safely," Criston told her.

Aerea crosses her arms, "why? Did he ask you?"

Criston looks over at Rhaena who glared at him and Aerea spoke up, "you can trust Rhaena, she knows, and before you run off to your owners," she growls, "she's loyal and not to mention not a monster."

Criston cast a smile at her, "good. You need someone you can trust. I hope one day you can see that you can trust me."

"No offense but not bloody likely," Aerea told him, holding a grudge against the Knight.

"Fair enough," he then pulls out a medium-wrapped package, "a parting gift," he hands it over to her, "it's not poisoned, Princess."

"I'm not a-" Aerea sighs, "ugh, fine," she takes it.

As she opens it and sees a red and black dress, "I thought you'd be more comfortable in your House colors."

She blinked staring at it, Rhaena did as well, both girls confused.