Spirits 3/4

Dinner was painfully silent. You sat in your seat, clutching your backpack close as you stared at the plate of food in front of you. Would it turn you into a pig as well? Was it cursed to do some other horrible thing? Your anxieties had killed any appetite or hunger you had felt earlier.

Your companions didn't seem as emotionally dampened. Aspen and Micah were happily enjoying their food. 'Father' had already finished eating and was drinking a cup of something steaming. Your own food seemed to be magically warmed because it had never stopped emitting steam. 

"Are you alright, child? I believe young humans require many meals throughout the day." 'Father' asked you. He set down his cup, you assumed it to be some kind of tea not that you could see the color. 

"I'm fine." You whispered, holding your bag closer. Food was the last thing on your mind right now. You weren't sure if you would ever see food the same again. Or if you would ever see your parents and siblings alive and human again.

"Hmm... you seem rather pale." 'Father' noted with a frown. From his seat beside you Aspen finally looked up from his meal.

"Father is right. You look way worse than when we met this afternoon. You should eat something." He gently encouraged. You grimaced and looked away, wishing to be left alone.

That didn't sit right with 'Father' who stood up with a frown. He walked over to where you sat, towering over you. From there, he gently picked you up before he sat in your chair, placing you onto his lap like a child.

"Come here, child. I must've underestimated how young you are if you are unable to eat by yourself. My apologies, I've never been around human children before." Father hummed, picking up your fork for you.

"I- I can feed myself! I'm not a child!" You protested. If it was between feeding yourself or being fed you'd pick the former.

Father merely chuckled, holding the fork out of your reach. "It is nothing to be embarrassed about, dear. I remember when Aspen and Micah were still young."

At the sound of their names both boys choked on their food, turning to father with panic in their eyes. "Father, you don't need to tell them about-!"

"I remember this one time when Aspen was still a small fox spirit, unable to hold a human form, he tried to take down a wild turkey. It was quite adorable and very entertaining. Then, there was Micah. Micah could hold a human form quickly but any sudden shock would make him change back. He'd sneeze and suddenly be back in his spirit form of a wolf." Father recounted to you. The way he told embarrassing stories so casually reminded you once again of your own family.

"Father, the child still needs to eat." Micah reminded, though he was noticeably flushed and he looked a bit more grumpy. 

"Right, thank you Micah." Father said. "Let's get you fed, yes?"

-----------

One humiliating experience later and you'd finished half a plate of the food. Though, that was only after being reassured multiple times that the food wasn't enchanted in any other way than to keep it warm. Even then, the food felt like a rock in your gut.

"It's rather late. Though that is quite normal for most spirits and we tend to be nocturnal, it must be rather hard on a human. Especially for one so young." Father said. He stood from the table, picking you up again.

While you tried to squirm, he easily overpowered you and carried you out of the dining room. Aspen and Micah trailed behind you, bickering about something or another. Father carried you to a giant doorway which he opened. Behind it was a room full of pillows and toys with a giant bed in the middle.

"It's been a while since I've needed the nursery." He said, mostly to himself. He walked over to a large wooden chest of drawers and opened the top one, shifting his hold on you so you could see. "Would you like to pick your sleepwear?"

You hesitated, not wanting to give in to anything that these people wanted of you. At the same time, they held your life in their hands. For that reason alone you picked up a random pajama set, just wanting to be left alone.

Father let you have some privacy to change, which was a simple folding screen. He did ask if you needed help numerous times though and seemed to be fussing over the pillows when you finally emerged from behind the screen.

Your old clothes were magicked away somewhere while you clutched onto your backpack as you were once again picked up and set on the bed. With a wave of Father's hand the lights dimmed and a faint melody began to play. Little stars, swirls and moons danced across the ceiling and walls from some hidden nightlight. 

"Good night child." Father said, tucking you in. Aspen and Micah watched from the doorway as father kissed you on the forehead. Instantly, the strength and adrenaline faded from your body and you began to fall asleep. "I'm sure it will be a joy to have a little one running around again. Do not worry, Y/N. You're in very capable hands."