Stable Hand 1/5

A/N: Continuation number 2! The original can be found in my 'Writetober 2023' book under the chapter name 'Saddle'. Also warning for probably inaccurate horse knowledge. 

Your position in the castle was very clear, make sure the horses were well kept and stay out of the way. That had been your job since you were old enough to learn how to handle the horses. You'd always lived in part of the hayloft above the barn. It was always just you and sometimes Mister Riley.

Mister Riley was the stable master, but he was getting old. That was why you took over most of the heavy lifting work when it came to stable maintenance. However, never before had you directly taken care of any of the royals' horses.

While they had a stableful, each royal had their preferred horses that Mister Riley directly took care of. But today, his cough had gotten worse so you'd promised to take care of absolutely everything for him. 

You'd finished grooming the horses and were in the middle of polishing the crown prince's saddle when he walked in. He looked around as if expecting Mister Riley and seemed confused when he only saw you.

"A child? What are you doing with my saddle?! Where is the stable master?!" He demanded. 

"Greetings to the crown prince. Mister Riley isn't feeling well so I'm taking over his duties today." You explained. "Shall I get your horse ready for you, your highness?"

The prince nodded and you ran to get the bridle and reins. His horse was a little arrogant and spoiled but let you tack it up relatively easily. The prince gave you a once over before elegantly climbing atop his horse and riding off into the fields.

It was a bit rude but you weren't expecting much else from a royal. You returned to your duties without giving it much more thought.

˚˖°.𓃗⊹ ࣪ ˖

Mister Riley wasn't well enough to work for the next week which meant you saw a lot more of the crown prince than you wanted to. He would stop by at the same time every day, early afternoon. Each day he would bring a treat for his horse before either leaving or going riding. Each day he kept giving you an extreme side eye that made it uncomfortable to work.

One day while you were mucking out a stall while he watched, he finally talked to you.

"How old are you?" You had just finished replacing the old hay when he sprung the question on you.

"Excuse me?" You asked, wiping your forehead with your sleeve. The stables were hot but you were used to it.

"I asked how old you are. You seem too young to be employed anywhere." The prince's voice was harsh and very judgemental. You leaned your rake against the stall.

"I'm eight, almost nine, your highness." You answered.

"You're barely younger than Ash! You can't seriously enjoy this." He gestured around at the stables and then at you. Your outfit was a little dirty and you had some stray pieces of straw in your hair but you didn't see any problems. It was normal.

"I find it plenty enjoyable, your highness. I really like animals and I enjoy being around them all day." The prince didn't seem to believe you, but at least he stopped side eyeing you. You were able to finish the rest of your chores in relative peace and quiet.

˚˖°.𓃗⊹ ࣪ ˖

"You always do an amazing job, Y/N. Soon you'll be better at this then I am." Mister Riley said. He was sitting in a chair, watching you work. Even though he claimed to feel better he was still a bit pale so you made him sit to the side. 

"I could never, Mister Riley! You taught me everything after all." You answered, brushing out one of the horses' coat. It was getting a little cooler as summer came to a close. 

"Are you sure about that? I received a message this morning from the crown prince." You perked up, wondering what the crown prince would reach out to Mister Riley for regarding you. "He said that he wants you to continue taking care of his horse and his riding gear for the foreseeable future." 

As you returned to brushing the horse your mind began to wander. What would make the crown prince so insistent that you work on his horse instead of Mister Riley? He was the more experienced one out of the two of you and had been working with the prince's horse for longer.

Things would only go downhill from there...