Chapter SIX- Dinner

Sten took over putting my things away and I helped, but I was slow because I refused to let go of my blanket, worried that if I took my eyes off it for a moment it would be gone, either damp and smelling like Dom from being used as his towel, or sopped with foul smelling piss from the pups accidents.

Both were as offensive to me, the former because Dom's scent would be ingrained into the fibres, my favourite blanket smelling forever of him, it was offensive to my cat nature, the blanket was mine, him marking it was a challenge, it was rude, if he dared to do such a thing I felt compelled to spray one of his possessions in retribution.

The latter defiled my blanket, no amount of washing would rid the scent of ammonia and piss to my sensitive nose. It would ruin the blanket, I would have to throw it away.

I gripped it even tighter at the thought. To do either was an insult to my feelings, both which would cause strong animosity on my part, I dislike Dom now, but I would loathe and abhor the man if he dared to do anything of the sort, there would be no forgiving if he crossed that bridge, he would be an enemy of mine.

Cats could hold a long grudge and I was no different, no amount of gifts, nice words and smiles would forgive him, I was content enough to give him the stink eye for the rest of my life if he chose to offend me so.

Despite my lack of help my things were eventually put away, the bags pushed under the bed.

Sten straightened and looked around, nodding as his eyes took in my knew room, approving of the arrangement.

All of my books were now housed in the bookshelf, my clothes put away neatly away from view, my small collection of ornaments placed on a shelf, my few cat toys and less precious blankets were put away in a box in the corner.

My selection of paints had been put into the chest at the foot of my bed, larger items, such as canvases had been put in the space between the wardrobe and wall, my folded up easel joining them.

I had quite a few finished paintings, most of them smaller but a few had taken me hundreds of hours to finish and meant a lot to me.

Sten had carefully set them down against the armchair, promising to russle up some nails and a hammer a little later so they could be hung up on the wall.

I heard a bell ring from downstairs and my startled ears shot up. I'd taken off the beanie, my ears feeling hot in the warm house.

The smell of food had grown ever stronger as we unpacked my things, I was perfectly ravenous by now.

"Dinners ready, come on Pepper." Sten headed towards the door to my room and I scampered to follow him, my small hands wrapping around his arm like before, my blanket bundled in the bend of my elbows.

He glanced down at me but didn't say anything, walking back down the long corridor and to the steep and slightly intimidating stairs.

I didn't meow this time when he picked me up, I simply wrapped my arms around his neck without complaint, my thighs clamping around his hip to hold on.

I rested my cheek on his shoulder and watched his feet take the steps with ease, feeling slight annoyance that I couldn't do the same.

The volume increased as we descended, the sound of excited chatter and the clatter of plates and cutlery, the scrape of chair legs on the floor echoing up the stairs.

I whined at the loud noises, gripping Sten tighter, feeling my ears pin to my scalp, my tail curling around Sten's middle for extra security, with how tightly I was holding on he wouldn't be able to put me down even if he wanted to. I did make sure my nails didn't dig into him though.