Chapter 28

The aroma of freshly brewed coffee and sizzling bacon filled the small kitchen as Jungkook mechanically set the table. His movements were practiced, a routine honed through countless mornings. But this morning, the familiar tasks felt hollow. His mind was a whirlwind of memories, each one a vivid picture of Seokjin that left a bittersweet ache in his heart.

He replayed their conversations, their shared laughter, the unspoken feelings that simmered just beneath the surface of their friendship. But a heavy truth lay upon him – those memories, once filled with promise, now felt like treasures from a bygone era. A future with Seokjin seemed like a fragile dream shattered on the rocks of unspoken fears and societal pressures.

His mother, noticing the melancholy etched on his face, placed a concerned hand on his shoulder. "Jungkook-ah," she said softly, her voice laced with maternal tenderness. "What's wrong? You haven't touched your food."

Jungkook looked up, his gaze filled with unshed tears. The dam of his emotions threatened to burst, the need to confide in someone overwhelming. He took a deep breath, finally finding the courage to speak.

"It's Seokjin, eomma," he confessed, his voice thick with emotion. "I miss him." He poured out his heart, recounting the email he had ignored, his insecurities holding him back from expressing his feelings, and the crushing realization of his missed opportunity.

His mother listened patiently, her eyes reflecting a deep understanding. When he finished, she pulled him into a warm embrace, her touch a source of comfort amidst the emotional turmoil.

"Jungkook-ah," she said gently when they pulled apart, "sometimes, the hardest thing is taking a leap of faith, especially when fear holds you back. But true love doesn't care about wealth or societal expectations. It's about connection, respect, and a willingness to face challenges together."

A flicker of hope ignited in Jungkook's eyes as his mother's words echoed in his mind. Just then, the doorbell's insistent ring cut through the quiet morning. He opened the door to find Namjoon and Jimin, their faces flushed with both exertion and excitement.

"Jungkook!" Jimin exclaimed, breathless. "There's been a development! Seokjin and Taehyung's wedding will be announced..." he paused, catching his breath, "...at his grandfather's birthday celebration."

The news slammed into Jungkook like a physical blow. The smile sparked by his mother's advice faded, replaced by a mixture of shock and despair. He felt a surge of anger bubbling up within him, directed at himself for his past hesitation and at fate for dealing him such a cruel hand.

Before he could react, his father spoke up from behind him. The man's voice held a depth of emotion Jungkook hadn't heard in years. "Jungkook," he began, his gaze filled with regret, "you sacrificed so much for this family. You went to Los Angeles, endured hardships, all to ease our financial burden. And then you..." he trailed off, his voice thick with guilt, "you were willing to give up your happiness again, your love for Seokjin, because of money."

He reached into his pocket, pulling out a debit card and placing it in Jungkook's hand. "We got you this," he said, his voice firm. "A small token compared to the sacrifices you've made."

A heavy silence descended on the room, thick with the weight of unspoken apologies and newfound understanding. Finally, his father broke the silence, his voice resolute. "This ends now," he declared. "I can take on more shifts, whatever it takes. We'll find a way financially. We won't stand in your way anymore. You deserve to pursue your happiness, Jungkook. We support you and your relationship with Seokjin."

Tears welled up in Jungkook's eyes, a mixture of relief and gratitude washing over him. He looked at his parents, at Namjoon and Jimin's supportive smiles, and a sense of hope blossomed within him. It wouldn't be easy, but perhaps, just perhaps, there was still a chance for him and Seokjin.