[ 15 ] 1/3rd Of The Squad Perpetually Being Unable To See What's Happening

Illumi didn't return to the Central Park West apartment until long after sunrise. Gon had left sometime after midnight, saying with exhaustion hanging off every word, "Well, whatever gift he gave must not impact the general populous. Goodnight."

He could have kept searching—God, did Illumi want to—but the more important matter would normally be atop Pride's head

Illumi thrust the comforter aside, exposing Sukuna to the elements. Disgruntled and bleary-eyed, Sukuna squinted up at him. "Well, good morning to you, too."

Illumi's eyes were on Sukuna's bedhead. The halo wasn't there.

"No other gifts have been given," Sukuna said, head sinking between his shoulders as he leant back on his elbows. He slapped his hands on the mattress. "Now if you don't mind—"

The moment Sukuna took control of the comforter, Illumi grabbed the pillow and ripped it out from under him before he could settle in. In that split second following, Sukuna and Illumi stared at one another with the pillow between them, each with their eyes wide.

A shudder ripped up Illumi's spine and left him weak at the knees.

"Sorry," Illumi said as Sukuna swiped the pillow out from his grasp. "I didn't—"

In an instant, gone was Sukuna's quiet, vulnerable demeanor and instead came Pride's loathing snarl once more. A nearly indiscernible flash of crimson eyes and his demonic halo cut across Illumi's vision. "Get. Out."

Illumi shut the door behind him, breathless, and stood in the hall for a moment to gather his nerves back together.

"This is completely awful," Illumi complained some time later as he slumped down the street with Gon between himself and Killua.

They were systematically searching all of the neighborhoods surrounding but after Illumi's sleepless night on the streets, Gon and Killua had errands to run in Greenwich, which landed them at Washington Square Park for lunch.

"Are the Princes of Sin even able to be depressed?" Gon asked.

"Wrath is never depressed, I swear," Killua said.

"Well, that's because he's getting laid," Illumi said, which Gon didn't translate. "Which, now that I think about it—kind of fucked up. Chrollo said the Princes borrow emotion—which means that Wrath can probably only experience desire when he's borrowing from Chrollo."

"What?" Gon choked, coughing on his smoothie. He slapped the back of his hand to his mouth and they all paused in the middle of the street for Gon to catch his breath.

"What did he say?" Killua said.

"I'm not repeating that," Gon croaked. "That's a horrible thought to have—I don't think it's true."

"Well, the concept of lust doesn't exist outside this universe because Chrollo's, like, it," Illumi said.

"Um," Gon said.

"What?" Killua said.

Gon was blushing, scratching at his temple, until Killua forced all of them to stop again to stare at Gon. "It's... kind of a personal question," Gon admitted.

Illumi stared at him. Embarrassment crawled, slow and evil, up his spine. "Don't tell me about your sex life, please," Illumi begged.

Gon nearly choked again. "It's—! It's not about that! It seems personal to Wrath, though."

Relief swept through him. "Oh. Okay then. Wait—Does it have to do with his sex life with my brother?"

"N-No! Not that either! Can we stop talking about sex lives?!"