Chapter 3: Mr Jonathan's Office

Nathan: Liana... hey.

Me: Nathan...

I was shocked to see Nathan stand next to me.

We stood silently, 5 minutes to be precise before Nathan spoke again.

Nathan: Listen, Liana, I am sorry for ambushing you like that, I didn't know Riana would do such a thing.

Apologizing?!

Me: Thanks, that was indeed upsetting, but it's okay. Thanks, Nathan.

Nathan: Li?

I looked at him stunned. 

Me: Li?

Nathan: Is that not your nickname for Liana?

Me: Yeah, but how did you know?

Nathan: I always hear you being on the phone with your little sister.

Me: Are my calls that loud enough for you to hear?

Nathan: Pretty much so.

We both laughed. My not being used to talking to people, especially a guy got my heart beating fast.

Nathan was the smooth talker, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a girlfriend.

Me: You are a smooth talker huh?

Nathan: In what way?

Me: You don't get shaken or nervous when talking to women, no offense, just saying.

Nathan: Stop apologizing for everything Liana. Speaking of smooth talkers, I am quite the type. Did you get charmed?

Me: No.

Nathan: Why are you so brutal?

Me: I am being honest here.

We then fell silent before Nathan spoke once more.

Nathan: Liana, tell me.

Me: Yeah?

Nathan: Not wanting a love interest, did you... face a breakup that maybe made you dislike romance?

Me: No - I just don't feel ready yet. I will never be ready. I want to enjoy my life with my family.

Nathan: What happens when all your siblings get married?

Me: I will still stay home with my parents. They have never chased me out.

Nathan: I mean what if you have to stay by yourself, and your parents are not there for like months?

Me: Like them not being at home for 3 months?

Nathan: Exactly! What then?

Me: Not when my Dad taught me how to cook, and do all kinds of handy work around the house and my Mom taught me how to bake, wash, and clean after myself - are the skills I have acquired from my parents not enough for a female to survive by herself, Nathan?

Nathan: You are determined to be single forever huh?

Me: As I said, I don't need a man to gain happiness... singleness and marriage are both benefits in their way right?

Nathan: Yes, and I am saying---

Me: And I am saying I choose to be single. This is my decision. And I expect everyone to respect it. Okay?

I then walked into the office, leaving Nathan outside.

Fake apology.

As if that was not enough, I bump into Riana once more.